Black frame when inserting graphic (matte) into timeline.

Posted by alexf 
Black frame when inserting graphic (matte) into timeline.
September 11, 2009 03:21PM
Hello folks, first time poster. I'm not an editor but as the facility engineer It's my job to fix obscure problems. Here's what has me stumped:

We do a show with lots of lower third graphics. Our editors are complaining that whenever they insert a graphic into the timeline, they get a single frame of black where the first frame of the matte should be. If I freeze playback at the black frame, I can make out a faint image of the lower 3rd. matte. Our editors must then manually delete the black frame. Pardon my lack of correct terminology, I hope someone can be of assistance. If I can clarify any further, I will.

Thanks!

Alex
Re: Black frame when inserting graphic (matte) into timeline.
September 11, 2009 03:26PM
At the risk of pointing out the obvious, have you checked to confirm that you're not getting a solid frame of black at the beginning of your mattes?

September 11, 2009 03:31PM
Jeff, I should have added that the problem is fairly random. Also, the editors claim they have only noticed it in preview (whatever that means).

To answer your question, no, there is no black frame at the beginning of the matte.

Weird......
September 11, 2009 03:33PM

the editors claim they have only noticed it in preview (whatever that means)

At least to me, that doesn't actually mean anything. I can make a few guesses as to what it might mean, but that's all they'd be, just guesses.

Since this question is leaning towards the troubleshooting end of things, can you please provide a lot more information? Hardware and software configuration, version numbers, formats, workflow, all the details.

September 11, 2009 03:48PM
FCP 6.0.1

8 core Mac Pros, AJA Kona LHe HD/SD video cards, dual 4gb fibre card.

Video is imported into FCP, edited and sent to SAN.

Formats are a mixture of HDV and DV.
September 11, 2009 06:22PM

If I freeze playback at the black frame, I can make out a faint image of the lower 3rd. matte. Our editors must then manually delete the black frame.

It sounds as if the first frame only contains the matte on a single field.

Since you said you're editing HDV, I'm guessing you're editing interlaced. Is the timeline HDV? Where was the L3 gfx made? What format/codec is it?

Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics