ProRes Proxy playback performance

Posted by Tom Wolsky 
ProRes Proxy playback performance
September 13, 2009 03:37PM
I'm running ProRes Proxy on a 2.4 MacBook Pro, the Leverage material from the Weynand book to be precise, and am getting very poor playback performance. Lots of dropped frames and skipping large chunks of video. Much, much worse performance than DV material or even HDV material, and this is with media which has a data rate lower than DV. Is anyone else having similar performance problems with this?

Thanks very much.
Re: ProRes Proxy playback performance
September 13, 2009 05:00PM
I find it to be pretty solid on my Mac Pro from a fast system hard drive.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
September 13, 2009 06:20PM
I have the same laptop, and I captured 40 min of footage from HDCAM to ProRes Proxy via my Matrox MXO2 into my laptop on a G-Drive mini via FW800. Not one dropped frame. And editing performance has been normal.
What drive are you using? Has to be good, knowing you. But just curious.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
September 13, 2009 08:44PM
Are you playing the material off the CD that came with the book, or did you copy it to a hard drive?
September 13, 2009 08:52PM
I did copy it off the disc. I'm using the laptop internal. It's what I train off. Never had a problem with training media before. Proxy's the first one that's giving me problems.
September 13, 2009 09:20PM
Hmmm...should work off the internal. DV does. I'll bet the dimensions are the reason it is skipping. Lower data rate, but large dimensions. I'll have to try to play some Proxys off my drive soon...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
September 15, 2009 05:52PM
OK Tom, I FINALLY copied over the ProRes Proxy clips to my system drive, and played them. I am getting no dropped frames, and overall performance is good. Been on a loop now for an hour while I went to lunch.

And the quality doesn't drop significantly when I play as opposed to when I am paused. There is no difference really.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
September 15, 2009 06:43PM
Thanks Shane.
September 19, 2009 07:06PM
RT Pop Up set to:
Unlimited RT
Dynamic playback
Dynamic framerate
????

It should be.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Unable to output to tape via firewire.
January 09, 2010 04:58PM
I have a 1080i project, originally shot on HDV that I am outputting to tape on a DVCProHD (Panasonic 1200A) I'm using my Macbook Pro laptop, which I used to edit the project. As soon as I plug in the tape machine, the timeline won't play more than a couple of seconds without stopping with dropped frames. Is it a busing or flow problem with the two firewire connections? The external drive is in the 800 port, the DVCPro machine is in the 400. The timeline settings control the deck, but the timeline won't play unless the tape machine is unplugged from the computer.

Thanks!

John
Re: Unable to output to tape via firewire.
January 09, 2010 09:20PM
You are trying to Print HDV out to DVCPRO HD via firewire. IT won't work. The computer is outputting an HDV signal, but the DVCPRO HD deck doesn't recognize that signal. You need to export a self contained QT movie, convert that to DVCPRO HD 720p60, drop that into a 720p60 DVCPRO HD timeline, and then you can print to video via firewire.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 09, 2010 11:33PM
As per Shane's advice, but as you are working 1080i I'm not sure there's any reason to convert to 720p60 for your lay off. Shane knows DVCPRO HD far better than I do tho' and he may have good reason for suggesting this, but otherwise I'd transcode to DVCPRO HD as suggested but stick with 1080i.
January 10, 2010 12:05PM
OOp, sorry. I have it stuck in my head that DVCPRO HD on tape is 720p. Thanks Andy.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 10, 2010 12:33PM
> I have it stuck in my head that DVCPRO HD on tape is 720p.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't DVCPro HD on tape have both 720 and 1080 options? I've worked with both Varicam and tapeless HVX-200 footage, and all are 720 -- but I remember 1080 as being an option at the shooting stage.

www.derekmok.com
January 10, 2010 01:09PM
It does both 1080 and 720. 1280x1080 for 1080i60, 960x720 for 720p60.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 10, 2010 06:02PM
Thank you for your help...I'll try that. The Panasonic 1200A does both 1080i and 720p. I already have the shows as self-contained files, since that was how they were delivered to the network and I was finally able to output them to tape by dropping them in the same timeline and using Print to Video, but every time there's a pan or fast camera movement, the video is jerky.
January 11, 2010 11:51AM
I tried tried transcoding a section of the show to DVCProHD, 1080i, but when outputting to the Panasonic 1200A the output screen turns white and only the audio goes across. It could be the frame size...the HDV is 1440x1080 and the default DVCProHD 1080i is 1990x1080.
January 11, 2010 12:04PM
>the default DVCProHD 1080i is 1990x1080.

No it's not. DvcproHD 1080i is 1280x1080 in NTSC countries, and 1440x1080 in PAL countries.

>but every time there's a pan or fast camera movement, the video is jerky.

HDV isn't very good with motion. And if you rendered your footage out as HDV, you're taking double hits on mpeg compression. You could try rendering straight to dvcproHD.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 11, 2010 12:22PM
When it comes to Varicam and TAPE, I am used to 720. I know 1080 is possible, but I have never used it, that is why 720p is stuck in my head.

>but every time there's a pan or fast camera movement, the video is jerky.

Is the original footage 23.98?

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 11, 2010 12:24PM
To be absolutely pedantic...

DVCproHD Pixel Resolutions:

DVCproHD 1080i50 is 1440x1080 - Displayed at 1920x1080

DVCproHD 1080i60 (actually 59.94i) is 1280x1080 - Displayed at 1920x1080

DVCproHD 720p for all frame rates (including VariCam) is 960x720 - Displayed at 1280x720

PAL and NTSC are Standard Definition only. Try not to mix PAL and NTSC up with HD in the same noun eg: "PAL HD" - it's a contradiction in terms!

(Not that G was saying this but just for clarification!)

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 11, 2010 01:25PM
Thank you for all the good info, but I'm still confused...the raw clips were digitized from the HDV camera and came in as 1440x1080, 29.97, Apple intermediate Codec, Pixel aspect: HD 1440x1080. I allowed FCP to adjust the timeline to comply to those settings, edited 13 episodes and delivered them as Self-contained files, which aired fine. Now that I'd like to back them up on tape is where I'm having the issue with my DVCProHD machine. Most of my projects are DVCProHD, 720p, so this is my first 1080i project. Have I made mistakes in my initial settings, or is it just the conversion to put it to DVCProHD that's the problem?

Thanks again for your help.
January 11, 2010 01:45PM
THey are APPLE INTERMEDIATE files...from HDV. They are NOT DVCPRO HD files, and that is the only way you can print to video to the 1200 deck via firewire. So you need to convert them to DVCPRO HD, then output. Or get a capture card and output that way, SDI to the deck. Then it doesn't really matter what format they are in the timeline.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics