HD DVD Camcorder/What to BUY

Posted by kjoske 
HD DVD Camcorder/What to BUY
September 14, 2009 03:50PM
Can anyone give me some advise on purchasing a HD DVD Camcorder which records to mini DVD cassettes? I had some 1080i HD video taken on a Sony HD DVD Camcorder which records to cassette the cassettes were given to me. I need to transfer the video to my external hard drive I understand that I can purchase an "inexpensive" HD DVD Camcorder to do this. I am using FCP PRO 5, I am on a G5 Mac. I understand that it has to be 16/9 ratio so that I not lose the quality of the video I have had taken and it also needs to be a HD Camera. By inexpensive I mean is there one under $500.00????

I would appreciate any recommendations.
Re: HD DVD Camcorder/What to BUY
September 14, 2009 03:55PM
Okay, first off...your terminology is off.

You mean HDV. HD DVD is a dead format -- it was the high-definition disc technology that had lost out to Blu-Ray. And there's no such thing as a "DVD cassette".

www.derekmok.com
September 14, 2009 03:56PM
Huh what's a 'mini DVD cassette'? What's 'HD DVD'? Those are some confusing terms you're throwing out there...

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
September 14, 2009 04:03PM
Noah, Derekmok

OK I stand corrected it is HDV
The tapes I have are mini DV digital video cassettes

I want to transfer them to my IMac in FCP and I understand the only way I can do this is to purchase a HD camcorder - I would appreciate your help.
September 14, 2009 04:06PM
You can rent one (?)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 14, 2009 04:30PM
I checked not in El Paso, Texas.
Also I heard there is something called a Sony tape transfer piece of equipment that does the same thing as a camera, do you know where I can purchase one and are they less expensive than a camera.

I have been quoted a price of $50 an hour to have someone transfer the video for me since I have 9 hours of video it seems to me that it would be best for me just to buy the camera.
September 14, 2009 04:32PM
You should have this done for you by a professional. The cost is trivial compared to your time and trouble.

September 14, 2009 04:41PM
There are HDV decks out there, that's probably the "Sony tape transfer" thing you mentioned. Expensive.

Search a place like the B+H website for HDV camcorders to check the pricing: HDV Camcorders on B+H. Under $500? More like $800. So it might be cheaper to have someone else do it. $50/hour is actually a pretty good rate.

Since capturing from tape is a pretty basic function in FCP, can we assume that you're a beginner here? Your confusing terminology certainly indicates that. My suggestion would be to take a class, or perhaps purchase one of the many excellent FCP DVD tutorials out there. It will make things a lot clearer for you.

HTH, JK

September 14, 2009 05:13PM
If you feel the need to buy a deck (or a camera would work for that matter), there's always ebay:

[shop.ebay.com]

[shop.ebay.com]

A little diligent searching goes a long way. GOOGLE (and Ebay) are your very bestest friends.

September 14, 2009 05:20PM
I'm sure there's someone in El Paso who can do this for you for a reasonable fee. Try Craigslist.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
September 14, 2009 08:23PM
Noah, grafixjoe, John K , Jeff Harrell
Thank all of you for taking the time to respond, yes I am "learning" the site with the cameras is great, I figured it would be best for me to buy my own equipment because obviously I will need to transfer again in the future and it adds up real fast.
September 15, 2009 10:57AM
You can go on CraigsList LA and find miniDV cameras for nothing. I find it best to playback on a device made by the same manufacturer as of the camera the tapes were recorded on (Panasonic + Panasonic, SONY + SONY)... but the potential exists that all will work fine. Just get a camera or device that has FW and is controllable.

If you're archiving, you can go to Target and get a $100 DVD recorder and burn DVDs (and makes VIDEO_TS) of your tapes, or get the $200 SONY machine that burns as AVCHD.

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
September 15, 2009 11:34AM
Nick, I think he has HDV tapes so a regular MiniDV cam won't work. Craigslist may still be his best bet though; I haven't seen any consumer HDV cams at all in stores. Everything at that price point has moved to solid state storage.

JK

September 15, 2009 11:43AM
Please don't confuse people...miniDV is NOT a compression format...miniDV is just a tape size, folks. DVCAM, HDV, DVCPRO-NTSC, Digital8, etc ALL record on miniDV tapes. a "miniDV camera" could be anything. Please be specific.

Thanks !! grinning smiley

September 19, 2009 07:03PM
Change this forum from FCP Troubleshooting to "What kind of camera should I get?"

How often must we see a post like this in an editing forum? smoking smiley

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
September 19, 2009 07:12PM
I hear you Kevin...I heeeeeeear you. I have lobbied for a "what to buy" forum to get this and other equipment purchase suggestions / questions OUT OF THE CAFE. It gets hard to find the trouble shooting questions sometimes.

Hope all goes well with that "thing" (May The Force Be With You winking smiley)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics