SONY .MPG files

Posted by Nick Baer 
SONY .MPG files
September 15, 2009 11:07AM
I have a SONY HDR-UX20, and sometimes record HD, and use VoltaicHD to convert to .mov .

For other purposes, I record SD, and remove the memory stick and mount it on my Mac, and drag and drop the .MPG files.

QT plays them fine. The Finder says they are 720x404.

FCP (6.0.6 - OSX 10.5.7) takes 2 hours to render 1 1/2 hours to 720x480. (When I drag the clips in, FCP does not ask me if I want to change the Sequence Settings to match the clip),

But the big deal, is that the audio tracks don't show up - as audio tracks have for the past 6 years with other file formats!

I wonder why?

SHould I use QTPro or something else to export these files from .MPG to .mov??

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
Re: SONY .MPG files
September 15, 2009 12:25PM
The FAQ covers this nicely under the question: No audio from movie file (MPEG) after I import. It truly is one of the most frequently asked questions.

Scott
Re: SONY .MPG files
September 15, 2009 12:37PM
THANKS!

I luv MPEGStreamclip.

I was tempted to mention - above - SHould I use QTPro or **MPEGStreamclip** to export these files from .MPG to .mov??

From Jude Cotter
MPEG-1 and some other compressed codecs use ?muxed? or ?multiplexed? audio, which means that the audio is mixed in with the video. FCP does not like this.

To check for muxing, open the clip in QuickTime Player and press APPLE-J. Check the Sound Track. If you see the words "Muxed Track", the clip needs to be 'demuxed' before it can be used for editing. You can do this with MPEGStreamclip

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics