24p and 24pA mixed

Posted by Scott Erickson 
24p and 24pA mixed
September 23, 2009 01:26PM
Hey dudes-

So got some footage back from a shoot and apparantly one of the cameras was left in 24p not 24pA. So now I have 29.97 footage with a 3:2 pulldown that i want to get into 23.98 so i can multi-cam this footage with the rest of the cameras.

I've been lucky enough to not have to do this ever before but i know it can't be too hard. I know it's a bad idea to do this after editing at 29.97 for a film out or something but it should be easy enough to get down to 23.98, even if that one interlaced frame is somewhat softer. Thank god it was only the b-cam and not the main.

Anyway, let me know if you've run into this and best to deal with it. Thanks!

Note: I did try the Reverse Telecine drop down in FCP and it just seem to open up Cinema Tools and just sit there. And i took it into Compressor and can't seem to get the field order right.
Re: 24p and 24pA mixed
September 23, 2009 01:31PM
The easiest and most time-consuming way is to run the footage through Compressor using a custom setting with the "reverse telecine" option turned on. Compressor does a remarkably good job of detecting and removing 3:2.

Your output format in that Compressor setting should be an intermediate format, to preserve picture quality. ProRes, or uncompressed.

There are other ways to do it, but this technique is the easiest to explain and has the fewest steps, I think. Also it doesn't require any third-party software. Furthermore, in my experience it's foolproof, once you get the Compressor setting made right.

(Dear Apple, please add a "remove 3:2 pulldown" button in Final Cut 8. Don't worry about making it fit in with the other filters and crap, just implement it so you can select a source clip, choose "remove pulldown" from the Modify menu and have Final Cut process me out a new clip at 23.976 without the pulldown in it. Or hell, make Final Cut 8 smart enough to remove pulldown automatically when editing 60i-with-3:2 material into a 23.976 timeline. Hugs and kisses, Jeffery.)

September 23, 2009 02:24PM
Right that was my first course of action, the problem is that it did a horrible job, It essentially interlaced every frame into a huge smushy mess. I took a standard 1080 DVCProHD setting, changed the frame rate to 23.98, and turned out Reverse Telecine and no dice.

Also, I'd like to stick within DVCProHD because otherwise i can't multi-clip these files with the rest of what we shot.

What third party software would you recommend? We have AE and have just set up Episode Engine on a server but im not as comfortable with it as i am Compressor.
September 23, 2009 02:32PM
Like I said, it's foolproof once you get the Compressor setting made right. It sounds like you didn't.

Others have reported good results using Cinema Tools to remove 3:2 from DVCPRO HD 1080i60 material. I personally have not ever needed to do that operation on that format, so I can't testify to its efficacy. But give it a shot.

September 23, 2009 06:49PM
> I did try the Reverse Telecine drop down in FCP and it just seem to open up Cinema Tools and
>just sit there.

What do you mean by "just sit there"? There's a "reverse telecine" button in there. give it a poke and see what it does.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 25, 2009 11:51AM
The problem im having with Cinema Tools is that all the Reverse Telecine buttons are greyed out. When i choose Batch Reverse Telecine and select the clips, i get an error that says "This movie has temporal compression" which doesnt make any sense since its DVCProHD, which doesnt use temporal compression!

Sigh...also in Compressor, not getting my settings right is hard to do since once you select Reverse Telecine, you have no other options. It locks them all out! I wonder if there is way to remove 24p from the camera options so this will never happen again...
September 26, 2009 02:04AM
>"This movie has temporal compression" which doesnt make any sense since its DVCProHD

This is an issue that started coming up around FCP 6.0.3 (someone should send that email to Apple, but I think they already got it). Batch export those clips from FCP and check "recompress all frames". Then bring them into Cinema Tools and reverse telecine away.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 29, 2009 12:21PM
Dude, Strypes, thank you!

That was it...I did a test file and it all came out fine once it got through Cinema Tools. Not i just have several hours of footage to run through the process...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics