Replace Clip with Effect

Posted by m1111s 
Replace Clip with Effect
September 23, 2009 03:58PM
Is there a way to replace video in a clip with an effect on it without losing the effect or having to re-apply it?
Re: Replace Clip with Effect
September 23, 2009 04:09PM
You sure can!

Load your clip with the replacement video into the Viewer. Set your in point in the Viewer.

Now, go back to the clip in the Browser and select it, and copy it by hitting apple-c. You've now copied the clip into the clipboard.

Select the clip to be replaced in the Timeline and right-click on it (or control-click if you are of the one-button mouse persuasion). Select Paste Attributes from the pop-up menu that appears. Tick the box for Content (If you need the audio, be sure to tick the Content box in the Audio column, too)

The new video should pop into the Timeline clip, leaving the filters intact.

debe
September 23, 2009 04:13PM
That "Paste Attributes" dialogue box is an awesomely powerful tool that most people don't even know exists.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 23, 2009 04:23PM
> That "Paste Attributes" dialogue box is an awesomely powerful tool that most people don't even
> know exists.

Tell me about it...back in 2004 I was about eight episodes in a multi-camera show until I realized I didn't have to adjust motion attributes on all five angles by hand.

In your situation above, though, I'd recommended adding an extra step for safety: Cut the new clip into the timeline first. Use Copy/Paste Attributes (tick Video - Filters) to migrate the effects onto the new clip, then check them before replacing the old clip. Paste Attributes - Content is a very useful tool, but it can also have strange results. If you do use it, make sure you check that it's behaved normally and be ready to Undo if it hasn't.

www.derekmok.com
September 23, 2009 04:24PM
Along those same lines, I think I'd been using Final Cut for about four years before I learned about the "Normalize" feature.

I still periodically remember that morning, then stop and punch myself in the forehead muttering "Stupid, stupid, stupid."

Follow-up to Replace Clip with Effect
September 23, 2009 07:15PM
Thanks for the advice. I'd like to add a new wrinkle to the scenario. Suppose I need to replace the video as a replace edit that does not have a mark in but rather a specific sync point somewhere in the clip?
September 23, 2009 07:18PM
Select the original clip
Copy the Clip
Do your Replace Edit
Select new clip
Paste Attributes
Done

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics