Audio and video out of sync?! What the &*$%@!?!

Posted by digibody 
Audio and video out of sync?! What the &*$%@!?!
September 28, 2009 12:10AM
I shot a 720p24p project on my hvx 200. Footage looks great, however, when I transfered into FCP now it's playing the audio out of sync and cuts off prematurely, so I can still see the video but hear no audio halfway through the clip as I watch it on the viewer. Anyone know what's going on?
The only think I can thing of was I accidentally, had 1080i settings and easy set up but then went back and changed it.

Any advice is welcome, thank you.

mac: 10.5.8, 2x2.66 ghz dual core, 8 g memory
fcp: 6.0.6
camera: hvx, no adapters, 24 shutter speed
Re: Audio and video out of sync?! What the &*$%@!?!
September 28, 2009 06:27AM
24p? pN or p? Check if remove duplicate frames is checked on log and transfer.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 28, 2009 01:29PM
Which external media drives are you using?

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
September 28, 2009 11:10PM
It's "P" NOT "PN," this was an operator's mistake and not intentional. If everything has been transfered into a quicktime file and I''m looking at it in FCP timeline, what can be done? The P2 footage from the cards has been erased, no backup.
Where was the box to delete duplicate frames so I know for the future? Thank you.
Went from P2 cards to downloaded files of mxf(?) to Quicktime converted files.
September 29, 2009 02:13AM
>The P2 footage from the cards has been erased, no backup.

What the?! Who authorized the deletion of the source files? You are NOT supposed to flush the cards unless copies of the MXF files are made. The source MXF files are your source tapes, which you keep safely locked up in a bulletproof vault under lock and key and intense 24 hour armed supervision for the rest of your life, and you go back to it if there's a problem with ingest/harddrive failure/famine/flood, etc..

Jokes aside, it's time to call up the guy who is supposed to hand you the source footage, and give him a good verbal bashing.

>Where was the box to delete duplicate frames so I know for the future?

It is "remove duplicate frames" (eg. 3:2 advanced pulldown). That option can be found in the preferences dropdown menu in L&T.

At this point, I'm not entirely sure that the sync issue is caused by removing/not removing duplicate frames on ingest, and i'm just making a random guess as to the cause of the problem. Remove duplicate frames does cause sync issues, but i'm not sure if it causes clips to be cut of prematurely.

If the problem was caused by not removing pulldown on ingest, what you can try to do now is to make a copy of the files, reverse telecine it in CT or Compressor and see if it bites. To fill in pulldown, you could take a short clip to AE and export it as 29.97, which gives you the option of adding a pulldown, and see if it works in this case.

I think Kevin's point is to check your media drive to see if it's formatted to FAT32 (which may cause larger clips to be truncated). Also, you may encounter dropped frames if you're playing off a USB device which will cause a syncs issues on playback.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 02, 2009 09:33AM
1. RE: "The P2 footage from the cards has been erased, no backup..."

It turns out we did have a backup, but...

2. RE: "L&T Button..."

I tried clicking on the "remove duplicate frames" preferences dropdown menu in L&T and it didn't fix the problem.

3. RE:
"If the problem was caused by not removing pulldown on ingest, what you can try to do now is to make a copy of the files, reverse telecine it in CT or Compressor and see if it bites. To fill in pulldown, you could take a short clip to AE and export it as 29.97, which gives you the option of adding a pulldown, and see if it works in this case."

... is there anyway to do this native FCP? I have no clue how to do what you described... is there a video tutorial on how to do this somewhere?

4. "I think Kevin's point is to check your media drive to see if it's formatted to FAT32 (which may cause larger clips to be truncated). Also, you may encounter dropped frames if you're playing off a USB device which will cause a syncs issues on playback."

No FAT 32 files, only mac all the way through.

PLEASE HELP ASAP, nearing the deadline for this... Thank you.
October 02, 2009 10:15AM
OKAY, so I tried doing what I think you had mentioned and I imported one of the 35 clips into AE and exported after changing the composition settings to 29.97, that didn't work so I also added pulldown WSSWW with field render "upper" settings and it did nothing. I also tried to change the frame rate to 30.

Is this what you meant?
October 02, 2009 11:21AM
>Is this what you meant?

Sort of. Basically you have p24 (which is 29.97 with a 2:3 pulldown which you should not remove), you have pA24 (which is an "advanced" 3:2 pulldown, which you remove on ingest by checking "remove duplicate frames"winking smiley, and you have pN24 (which is 24 fps native). I'm in PAL land, so it doesn't make any difference as we rarely have pulldown here, but having that checkbox unnecessarily checked/unchecked, can cause sync issues.

Hmm.. actually, on the hindsight, i'm not too sure if running it through Cinema Tools will result in any sync issues/corrections, as the audio should be on a passthrough.

Now, what kind of sync issues are you talking about? Sync drift (starts off in sync but goes out of sync after a while), or constantly off sync?

Do you have a copy of P2 CMS? You can download it here

Run this software, and load the P2 folder. Then play the clips to see if the audio is in sync. If it isn't, that means the audio guy may have messed up. If that's the case, and he's feeding 2 channels from his mixer, check the 3rd and 4th channels which should be back up audio from the cam mic. See if the issue persists.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 02, 2009 07:48PM
Thank you for the download, in the CMS, the footage IS in sync, so how do I get it in sync in the timeline/AE exported? Again, it was shot 720-24 P, not PN.

Thank you.
October 02, 2009 08:15PM
And BTW, it does start "in sync" and then drifts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics