Closing all Bins in Browser

Posted by Steve Douglas 
Closing all Bins in Browser
October 01, 2009 10:28AM
Despite trashing prefs, when I click on either the effects tab or project tab and right click the 'Close all bins', nothing occurs. Brought in the 'CAB's button to the top of the Browser but that doesn't do it either. Never really used this feature before but now see how it would really help speed certain things up for me. Anyone know why it won't work?
Running Leopard, FC7 on Mac Pro
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
Re: Closing all Bins in Browser
October 01, 2009 05:32PM
Close All Bins is for bins tabbed into the same window. So if you option-click to open your bins then close all bins will close them up. It is not intended for bins opened into different windows.
October 01, 2009 06:01PM
Thanks for replying Tom. I want to be sure I understand you. In the browser/effects window, I may have several filter types opened to choose from at one time. They are not in separate windows, just open with the browser. Same for the browser project files. I may have different bins scrolled open in list view, but that doesn't mean they are in separate windows. While I did not know that it was an option/click...when I click on the browser tab and go to 'close all bins' shouldn't that close any bins that are open? I never stop learning it seems
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
October 01, 2009 06:11PM
You don't mean the bins are open, simply that the contents are displayed, the twirly triangle is pointed down, is that right? If so use the up and down arrows to navigate to the bin and the left arrow to close it. The right arrow will display the contents and also step inside the bin.
October 01, 2009 06:36PM
Then what is an "open bin", and what is the "close all bins" command supposed to do?

Scott
October 01, 2009 06:46PM
If you have opened bins tabbed into the same window, which many people do to keep the bins open and be able to quickly move from one bin to another with Cmd-Shift-[ and ], then close all bins close them up from the window without having to switch to each individual tab and closing it separately.
October 01, 2009 08:37PM
wow, so this is a not very useful feature, with really stupid terminology!

when i read about it, i thought it was a genuine "Close all bins"
i could use that.

what we've got is not so useful.

nick
October 01, 2009 09:25PM
Wow, was I off base. I thought that if contents of a bin were displayed the 'close all bins' would twirl all the triangles back up and closed. No wonder it didn't work. Disappointed but thanks for clearing that up Tom.
So for the next FC version, it would be cool to have a keyboard shortcut or button that will close all bins and their contents, highlighted or not.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
October 01, 2009 10:02PM
Is there a tip here Tom for the lafcpug newsletter? If so how do we write it? In other worlds can you write it? It will make you famous.

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 01, 2009 10:41PM
Sure.
October 03, 2009 03:18AM
You mean opening and closing bin folders in the Browser? In List view? Just let me consult my KeyGuide here....

You want to twirl the triangles closed? Navigate to one with arrow keys, then press the left arrow key to close. If you select all bin folders (Command A) in Browser, you should be able to open/close all twirlies simultaneously this way-- right arrow to open, left to close. Try it.

Works in MacOS finder as well, and has for a zillion years.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:

Set your standard 16x9 layout with Command-Option-U !

Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 03, 2009 06:23AM
I'm not finding the Cmd-A and left arrow working in FCP. It only closes the first bin for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics