Don't use Safe Boot when installing FCS 3

Posted by Loren Miller 
Don't use Safe Boot when installing FCS 3
October 03, 2009 03:07AM
The normal procedure for installing new apps is of course, to hold the Shift key and reboot to suppress all extensions, to avoid stomping on items during the installof new apps.

Well, I did this when I got my FCS3 upgrade, and all of a sudden, I get an alert that the video RAM of my graphics card was *0* MB ! And the FCS installer promptly shut down!

Fer crying out loud, it's a stock GT120 512 MB Nvidia! WTF??

So I rebooted without shift, restarted the install. Sailed through (although it took three hours.)

I miss Conflict Catcher.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:

Set your standard 16x9 layout with Command-Option-U !

Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Re: Don't use Safe Boot when installing FCS 3
October 03, 2009 07:51AM

The normal procedure for installing new apps is of course, to hold the Shift key and reboot to suppress all extensions, to avoid stomping on items during the installof new apps.

I really don't mean to sound pissy here; if I do, please assume it's 'cause I spent 19 hours yesterday trying to fix a wonky Massive system and nothing else.

But that's definitely not the normal procedure for installing anything. Kernel extensions in Mac OS X are nothing like system extensions in the old Mac OS. They're integral parts of the system that provide key hardware support, as you discovered. The only reason to boot a Mac OS X system without kernel extensions is to get the system up into a minimally running state so you can repair or replace a malfunctioning extension. It's not something users need in day-to-day operations, and it's definitely not for installing software.

October 03, 2009 09:51AM
Just out of curiosity where did you get that as a recommendation? FCS and pretty much every app you'll ever install in a Mac is designed and tested to be simply run as is with no special prep. And even going back to OS 6 or whatever I can remember that's been the way to do it. Some apps prefer to have some or all applications shut down first but other than that you should follow the apps' instructions. And if there is no specific recommendation don't add one.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
October 03, 2009 02:52PM
Yeah, that "...of course..." part really stopped me dead in my tracks when I read that. I just installed the upgrade last night and had no problems apart from keeping me up until 2 a.m. as I kept shuffling discs in and out <yawn>. winking smiley

FCP 7.0.3, PPro CS5.5, MPro Octo 2.8, 16 gigs RAM, Matrox MXO2, Sony EX1
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics