downloaded XDCAM decoder corrupted my system
October 08, 2009 05:24PM
Hey there best and brightest. New to group, need help. I have a large grey bar obscuring capture of HDV footage, and it appears on the timeline as well. In playback the bar is not there, but any time I add an effect, it gets pixelated and I see flashes of the bar. Problem started when I downloaded some decoding software for XDCAM HD. I've tried deleting the software, I think I have done so, but still have the problem. Upgraded to FCP7 and Snow Leopard today, STILL have the problem, even after deleting preferences. Any suggestions? I have show to cut!
Thanks very much,
Rodney
Re: downloaded XDCAM decoder corrupted my system
October 08, 2009 06:51PM
Check with the decoding software maker- they should send you proper uninstall instructions. I'd guess some sort of plugin is still in your QT player prefs or whatever.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
October 09, 2009 07:34AM
LOL ... not sure what Noah is on about with the "some sort of plugin is still in your QT player prefs or whatever." line but I'd say he's generally on the right track as in you've not actually uninstalled the quicktime component that is causing your issue.

It sounds like you may have installed Calibrated Q's XD Decode component (which is NOT compatible with FCP installations as it directly conflicts with Apple's own HDV codec bundle) ... if you "manually" uninstalled by deleting the XDOptions app and associated docs then the codec is still installed. Go into your /Library folder (at the root level of your hard drive) and then look inside the QuickTime folder therein ... do you see a file named CalibratedXDDecode.component ? If so then you need to trash it. If not then please list for us all the codec you do see contained inside that Quicktime folder.

Or... if you're the give me an easier way kinda guy (and aren't we all) then go ahead and check out the free demo of Jon Chappells excellent FCS Maintenance Pack ( [www.digitalrebellion.com] ) which contains a tool called System Toolkit; launch that app and switch to the Quicktime tab and you'll see a list of all the QuickTime components you have installed, spot the culprit, select it from the list, and click either the "Disable" or "Remove" button :-)

Best
Andy
October 09, 2009 11:11AM
Andy and Noah Oracles, you have saved my butt. Took a couple of restarts, but the maintenance pack did it. Thanks so very much. It was exactly as you said. It was the hidden component of the Calibrated decoder that was vexing me, but now, the tumor is removed, smote, banished and gone and I am up and running. May much profitable, easy and / or fulfilling work come your way.
Rodney
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics