Installing FC7 not upgrading over existing

Posted by DM 
DM
Installing FC7 not upgrading over existing
October 11, 2009 12:25PM
Looking for best practice method of installing the 7 suite on a machine using 5.1.4. This is not an upgrade version but a full version.
Not sure if I should wipe out everything about 5.1.4 including the libraries, which take up 30 or 40 gigs of space. Any suggestions?
thx
FC suite 5.1.4
Mac Pro dual quad core 2.8
6 GB RAM
Re: Installing FC7 not upgrading over existing
October 12, 2009 10:05AM
I am a big fan of the complete start from scratch method. Buy a new drive. Install the latest version of the OS. Run software update to get the most up to date patches and security.

Now get the most recent drivers for any hardware on your system (video card, drive interfaces etc).

Next do a full install of the FCS software. Again run software update. You may have to run this a couple of times. Keep running it till it tells you there are no more updates for your system.

Install your other applications and plugins. Now is a good time to check each package for the most recent updates and upgrades.

The upside of this practice is that you have no remnants of old packages on the system, and you have the most recent and compatible versions off all your software. Additionally you sill have your old system intact, so if there are fatal flaws in any of the new components you can quickly revert to a known working system.

The downside is that you invest at least a day of your time for a full rebuild. If you are a Livetype user you will lose that package with this process. It is not included with the latest release.

-Vance
October 12, 2009 05:24PM
In theory wiping from scratch is the way to go, in practice I haven't bothered for years. Zero problems....

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
DM
October 12, 2009 08:56PM
Yes, well I'd love to start from scratch too but I have a lot of other software on my system drive that I've spent a lot of time (and money) setting up. The computer is new. Perfect hindsight says I should have done at the git-go, but.......
October 13, 2009 08:37AM
Well in that case I would start by cloning your existing drive. Others here have mentioned uninstall software for FCS. I have never tried it, but in theory it removes all the bits and pieces:

[www.digitalrebellion.com]
DM
October 13, 2009 09:30AM
found a link about FCS remover. I'm going to try that when the software package becomes a reality. thx to all for the comments.
October 18, 2009 11:56AM
I used FC Remover, then installed FCS3 (with FC7) over FCS2. My performance seemed slower so Digital Rebellion recommended also running FCS Housekeeper and Autosave Cleaner (this comes with the FCS Maintenance Pack - you can get a 15-day free trial). I also ran Singular, free software that deletes duplicate files and frees up space. After performing those tasks, my system seems to be running fine so far.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics