Suggested Upgrade

Posted by Barry 
Suggested Upgrade
October 12, 2009 01:16PM
Well I am finally in that position of being between projects and was thinking that this would be a good time to upgrade. I'm not going to being upgrading to Snow Leopard or FCP7 quite yet, and Currently I am running Mac OSX 10.5.4 and FCP6.0.4. What is the most stable upgrade I should try while staying with OSX 10.5.x and FCP6.x.x ?
Re: Suggested Upgrade
October 12, 2009 03:28PM
10.5.8 and 6.0.6...about as far as you can go...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 14, 2009 12:31AM
i'm on 10.5.8
and am running FCP 7.0.

there's no NEED for Snow Leopard to run FCP7.
now would be a perfect time to make the leap.

however, if you don't want to,
just upgrade all the way up on everything.

nick
March 08, 2010 10:49PM
I have a 1.8gh G5 3gb sdram 2 cpus 3gb memory and
running FCP 5.1.4 still capturing from XL1a footage.
If I decide to go tape-less would going to FCP6 be necessary for file transfer.
Any advise for a good story teller doing docu/industrials since '78
thanks,
nick vincent
March 09, 2010 08:15AM
It depends on the kind of tapeless you mean.

I have a G5 that is just a tich younger than yours, and I would not want to deal with ingesting AVCHD footage on that machine, but P2 media and XDCam (both from the full-size cameras and the EX-models) so far have been working out pretty well. I also wouldn't want to have to do anything involving transcoding HDV on the G5, for that matter.

My system is running Tiger (OS 10.5.6) and FCS 2 (incl. FCP 6.0.6) on a dual 2GHz G5 with 3.5 GB RAM, for the record. I use a Sonnet 500P eSATA RAID with Hitachi SATA drives for storage. I monitor via a Blackmagic card to a Sony CRT with an HD-SDI board.

There's far more P2 work happening in my area, though. I can't say I've done an intensive XDCam project on this system to give a fully-formed opinion. The little thing I did worked out fine. But I wasn't tracking an entire doc. It was a little PSA.

I have a Mac Book Pro that I've used to ingest and transcode AVCHD for a project that I am now editing on the G5. That actually worked out pretty slick.

I do a lot of my work in ProRes, and it behaves most of the time. It's a mighty slow render, however. I do a lot of my processing on the MBP for sanity's sake. If it's going to take longer than 20-30 minutes on the G5, I move it to the MBP to render. Unless I can leave it run overnight or go take a lunch break or something.

I can tell when I'm reaching the outer edge of what my processor can handle, and it does happen reasonably often that I will be replacing my beloved G5 probably after NAB this year, however.

Cutting a doc is a different beast. You might not feel the performance drag as I do if you're mostly cutting and not compositing or finishing.

This is all FCP, by the way. I've done a few Motion projects, and the lack of speed really drags the process down.

deb
March 09, 2010 07:23PM
Thanks for posting back,

I getting tired of probs w/ capturing, and for the little school projects lately, doing sports, dance, theatre,events, music performances.

I have been using an Canon XL1a for the sch stuff, but always have focus problems w/ stock lens.

Any thoughts for an entry level tapeless camera under 3k w/ a decent wide zoom lens (say 28/30mm to 200mm, 35mm comparable) and 16gb cards that aren't too pricey.

Kind of asking a lot, am I not?

thanks, nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics