THE TEXT that only Big Boys can do.

Posted by J.Corbett 
Re: THE TEXT that only Big Boys can do.
November 06, 2009 03:13PM
Fun bit of trivia: "gens" is an English word, albeit an uncommon one. It refers to a type of social structure that's sort of conceptually similar to a tribe.

Since I still have no idea what the question is supposed to be, I'm afraid that's really all I have to add at this point. Sorry.

November 06, 2009 03:23PM
he said that there was a difference in the look of fcp text generations that are on top of sd and the look of the same element placed on top of hd.

But he did indicate that it could be done in sd also but there is a lot of work to make it happen.

So what i am after is the explanation of that extra work. A general recipe of:

where to gen?
what filters, settings or effects are most manipulated?
Does the camera types change the look of the text object?

i can not think of anything else to do. I am attempting multi-layer copies of the same object to effect the luster or shine of the text in Motion, AE and Shake. I have used many combinations blend modes in those layers. Light mixes on 3d text gen'ed in AE. Lights on 2d & 3d multi-layered, multi-blended text in motion3. Wild combos of nodes in shake4.

I just started a 3d photoshop project and painting textures to them to get the look. (ps is not seemingly wonderful with transforming text to 3d).
Its just irking me to death. It is the single MOST baffling thing i have ever come in contact with in all my editing days.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
November 06, 2009 03:35PM
i will post some example os what i ham doing later. But the web doesn't show the difference in the text well enough for me to show you an example of what i am going for.

I only see the difference on broadcast. I have had an increase in broadcast and though i get no complaints. When i see my stuff i am always least impressed with how the text&logos and the footage match.

It looks ok but i want it to be better.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
November 06, 2009 03:41PM
Hire a Designer / Compositor.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 06, 2009 03:43PM
This has reached the point of being ridiculous. This thread is three weeks old, and near as I can tell no one who's participated here has any more of an idea what you're asking than we did when you first posted the question, Corbett.

For a while I thought you were talking about either aliasing or motion blur, but then the Shake/Photoshop/3D stuff started ? none of those three things is related in any way to the others, by the way ? and I realized I hadn't a clue.

You're talking about something subtle that only shows up on a broadcast monitor, so it can't be illustrated with stills. Fine, I get that; I've been there myself. But if you want advice, can you at least take the time and effort to describe what you're talking about? I mean, give us a break here, huh? If you can't tell us what you're trying to achieve, we can't hardly be expected to know how to respond, can we?

November 06, 2009 03:47PM
Sounds like he wants a tutorial in high-end Broadcast Graphics.

November 06, 2009 03:49PM
Sorry J. Your last two posts weren't in English. Nor in any Post Tech that I speak.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 06, 2009 03:52PM
Maybe. But I've got this hunch ? possibly completely wrongly ? that he's really trying to ask an incredibly specific question, possibly one with a simple answer, and is just flailing around for terminology.

If I'm wrong, and the question boils down to "Will you teach me to football?" then I'm going to once again point Corbett to Fxphd, which is just one of many learn-from-home options for in-depth instruction.

I mean, there's a pretty big difference between "Can you guys give me some advice on how to keep my brushes clean?" and "Teach me to paint."

November 06, 2009 03:59PM

I mean, there's a pretty big difference between "Can you guys give me some advice on how to keep my brushes clean?" and "Teach me to paint."

...bingo.

November 06, 2009 04:35PM
J.
You referenced someone from TBS as giving you advice.

First rule in asking for this kind of "advice" is to keep the BS meter handy at all times.

Just because they work for a network doesn't mean they know anything.
Don't know where you picked up the term "gen" but it's not helping you.

The advice you got was just BS. "Settled/matched"? That's just a self important way of saying "well designed". In fact this individual sounds like they know just enough to be dangerous.

Here is what you do. Record samples of graphics you like off air. Or go to the websites of many graphics design companies and download their demo clips.

GET AFTER EFFECTS.
Plenty of great graphics are done JUST with After Effects and with some work in Photoshop and some talent of course.

You don't need a Flame or anything like it.

Start trying to recreate the stuff you see and like, add your own ideas.

There is no magic button, there are no super double secret techniques that are going to create professional work just by dropping a filter on it.

It's all about working on stuff and acquiring the skill sets involved.

If you don't have the money to get a 3D app, don't worry. Go ahead with After Effects and get working. If you decide to add 3D to the mix you can always do it later.

FORGET YOU EVER HEARD SOMEONE SAY "SHAKE"!
Drop it from your vocabulary right now, don't even ask why.

Whoever might have mentioned Shake as being necessary for nice, professional motion graphics is giving themselves away as a moron.

If you don't have the time or interest to learn After Effects, give it up and go hire a motion graphics designer.
November 06, 2009 05:06PM
Sprocketz,

Perfect. That was the culmination of about 3 years worth of posts I have made to the OP regarding Broadcast Motion Design and they just did not listen ever. Thank you so much for validating and consolidating that to one concise post.

That should almost be in the FAQ WIKI winking smiley

Here endeth the lesson...and the thread...

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics