General Error?

Posted by digibody 
General Error?
October 18, 2009 11:43PM
Okay, so I just rendered a feature film project and now it's giving me the following errors:

1. General error

and then randomly,

2. Out of memory

Now this is strange, considering I have 241 gigs left on my t drive and 8 gigs of Ram.

Anyone have any suggestions what is going on and how to fix it? Thank you.

Thank you for your response and assistance.

the system: OS X 10.5.8, 2 x 2.66 ghz dual core intel xeon, 8 gig RAM, mac pro 1.1, ATI radeon 3870 graphics card, fcp 6.0.6

the project: 90 minutes in length, 720p24, shot on an hvx 200, 14 layers audio, 3 layers video
saving the project on a western digital T drive.
Re: General Error?
October 18, 2009 11:49PM
Usually a general error indicates one of three things: A problem with your media, a problem with a render file, or a problem with the project file itself.

First debugging step: Remove your render files using the render manager and re-render your timeline. If this fails, render your timeline in pieces. Either shot-by-shot if it's convenient, or in say ten-minute chunks until you find the problem spot. If the problem doesn't come up again, you had a problem with one of your render files, and you solved it by removing them. If it does, figure out why that individual shot won't render correctly. It's usually caused by some problem with the media, like trying to use a print-formatted still in your timeline.

Second debugging step: After removing your render files, open up a backup of your project file, perhaps from your autosave vault, and try rendering that out.

October 19, 2009 11:38AM
I'll add one more possibility: you're running out of space on one of your attached drives, and it doesn't have to be your media drive. Your system drive especially will matter here - don't let it fall to less than 10% free. The system drive does a lot of housekeeping and temporary storage during intensive operations (like rendering a big project) and it needs lots of elbow room.

Scott
October 19, 2009 11:46AM
What is a "western digital T drive"? It doesn't come up in a search on WD's website or GOOGLE. I'll bet that's your culprit.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 11, 2009 11:07PM
1. I tried trashing my prefs with Pref Manager, no luck.
2. No disk space issue, I have 230 gigs left on the Terra (t) drive and 60 gigs left on the hard drive.
3. Not the render files, trashed and rerendered those...

suggestions?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics