Recommendation - Which Camcorder for BrotherInLaw Bday Present ($1k to $2k)?

Posted by MitchSink 
Recommendation - Which Camcorder for BrotherInLaw Bday Present ($1k to $2k)?
October 19, 2009 01:14AM
Hi,

I'd appreciate recommendations for a Camcorder for a birthday present for my brother in law. I'd prefer something with Optical Image Stabilization.

Unless someone has a better idea I think HDV would be a good format for ease of capturing and editing.

Thank You Very Much smiling smiley !

Mitch
Re: Recommendation - Which Camcorder for BrotherInLaw Bday Present ($1k to $2k)?
October 19, 2009 11:25AM
I'm not much of a camera geek Mitch, but what the heck, do you have another sister?
Re: Recommendation - Which Camcorder for BrotherInLaw Bday Present ($1k to $2k)?
October 19, 2009 11:37AM
It's more of a Post Production forum here you best bet would be one of the camera forums.

I guess it depends on what format and what options you think he will require and also if it to be FCP compatible.

My suggestion would be something with SDHC cards that records HD as the media is cheap and available almost everywhere. Also something with a good low light capacity or IR recording as you often find the home movies are recorded in available light which often isn't that great.

Have a look at the low-end Panasonic, Canon and Sony offerings.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 19, 2009 03:44PM
Yeah a trip to Best Buy would be a good call- all you need to know is right there...

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
October 19, 2009 09:06PM
Hi,

Thanks for the help.

Andy, not sure how the fact that I have two sisters is relevant.

Ben, thanks for the ideas. "good low light capacity" is an excellent suggestion.

Noah, When we were shooting with VX1k's in the late 90's I knew a lot more than Best Buy Clerks about the features and pluses and minuses various of mid level camcorders. I'm hoping to find similar quality advice.

Thanks Again smiling smiley !

Mitch
October 19, 2009 09:08PM

Andy, not sure how the fact that I have two sisters is relevant.

He meant "That's a very generous gift, I too would someday like to be your brother-in-law in order to receive similarly generous gifts."

At least I think that's what he meant. It also could've been "I find you overpoweringly attractive, but in order to preserve my public façade of decency and manliness, I will take comfort in the hope that, first of all, you have at least one other sister, and second, that her resemblance to you might be sufficient to give me a more socially acceptable outlet for my feelings."

Could have gone either way, really.

October 19, 2009 09:22PM
Love the Canon HFS10 - in the 1000 to 1500 range - full HD - snaps pictures (very nice ones with zone focusing and metering - just a beautiful all around camera for the money - easy to edit with in FCP too
October 19, 2009 11:02PM
Re: Best Buy- Yeah I didn't mean go there to ask for assistance I mean go there and check out what cameras they have for the price point you want to hit. Anything AVCHD from Sony or Panasonic from 1,000 to 2,000 is likely to fit the bill. that said you can also pick up a used HVX200 for almost that much these days so is it a point and shoot camera or a movie making starter kit?

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
October 20, 2009 09:07AM
Phew ... just glad the bestial leaning aren't so obvious. Good job I didn't ask about his pets.
October 23, 2009 02:37PM
Hi,

I really appreciate all the input! Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been a little sick the last few days...

Andy Mees:
My married Sister is buying the Camcorder for her husband so I can't help you on the Camera grinning smiley

Andy Fields:
The Canon HFS10 sounds like a good starting point.

Noah:
Good idea on the HVX200. He might actually prefer an HVX200. He has owned and used 35mm SLR's which he recently replaced with a with a fairly high end Canon digital.
October 23, 2009 02:39PM
>Good job I didn't ask about his pets

He may have a few piranhas.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics