Time & Date stamp from P2 card problem

Posted by Larry1 
Time & Date stamp from P2 card problem
October 29, 2009 11:52AM
Normally I wouldn't use the time & date display option when I'm shooting but in this case I had to. I know when I look at the P2 card footage in the panasonic HVX200 camera I can see the date and time stamp on the footage, but after I transfer the clips into final cut pro the date and time stamp is gone. I need to know how to retrieve the date and time stamp on the footage once the clips have been transfered? I've tried reading the HVX 200 Manual and I tried messing with the clip in FCP but I can't find a way to bring that information onto the footage. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Time & Date stamp from P2 card problem
October 29, 2009 12:28PM
Sorry, you can't. Not via the LOG AND TRANSFER method. That is metadata that FCP simply does not see. From ANY format. If you want that you have to connect the camera via a capture card, with a connection that passes that display information along. Then capture that feed.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 29, 2009 05:19PM
A bit of a threadjack:

Shane said
That is metadata that FCP simply does not see.

No way to get FCP to show you that information, but how else could it do start/stop detect without it? That's always bugged me, that it apparently captures that data in some form or other but can't/won't let you work with it.

Scott
October 29, 2009 05:44PM
I don't claim to be a technical engineer or software developer...so I have NO clue. If it was something simple, I'm sure they'd include it. But seeing that all the NLEs I use don't offer that option, then that tells me something. DV Start/Stop detect might be based on something else. who knows...?

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 29, 2009 05:54PM
Thank you Shane for your reply. I have access to a Panasonic AJ-PCD20 Memory Card Drive. How can I use this card reader to capture the feed I need?
October 29, 2009 06:45PM
That is just a P2 card reader. All it does is what the camera does, or inserting the card into a computer with PCMCIA slot...it mounts the card on the desktop so that you can then use LOG AND TRANSFER. What I am suggesting you need is an HD CAPTURE CARD, like AJA, Matrox, Decklink. Then take a feed from the camera that also includes the visual data...and capture that.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 30, 2009 04:57AM
>No way to get FCP to show you that information, but how else could it do start/stop detect without it?

I'm not understanding the question... If you shoot to P2, you don't do start stop detect. Each individual clip is a start/stop by itself.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 30, 2009 12:40PM
Like I said, it was a threadjack winking smiley.

I was talking about the general issue of DV start/stop detect, and the speculation that FCP used date/time metadata to detect it, so why can't it give us access to that metadata? Like Shane said, who knows how FCP does start/stop detect, but it sure looks like it's not from this metadata. I was surprised to learn no other NLE gives that data either, so it must be a monumental issue. My comment had nothing to do with P2.

Scott
October 30, 2009 01:56PM
That's quite an interesting point, because I was telling one of my producers that they could have shot time of day, so the folks on the schedule will be easier to find.

Frankly, I'm not too sure how time code works on P2, because with tapeless ingest, you don't need continuous time code anymore.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 30, 2009 04:21PM
Ooo, double thread-jack alert:

Just what conditions will reset the time of day clock on the HVX series of cameras? I would think that it would take more than a battery swap, but judging from some crazy times I see on the footage I come across I wonder....
October 30, 2009 04:48PM
I thought I just heard the AJA KiPro box preserves all that metadata upon ingest to ProRes422 flavors and somehow makes it available to FCP, but I may just be dreamin'.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke your Remove Attributes dialog over any selected clip(s) with
Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 31, 2009 12:24AM
Scott
I was talking about the general issue of DV start/stop detect, and the speculation that FCP used date/time metadata to detect it, so why can't it give us access to that metadata?
Shane
who knows...?

Wes Plate:
[www.automaticduck.com]

"ProDate DV is an exciting plug-in for Final Cut Pro that allows you display over your video the time and date recorded by your DV camcorder."

although give the name "ProDate DV" i'm not sure if this will work with P2 media.
(and as you can see, the product isn't available yet, anyway)

nick
November 01, 2009 02:17PM
In FCP 7 in the Log & Capture window you can set up a customized naming default. In the Edit window, you can specify Clip Date ,Year, Month, Day, & Time. These are the ones the clips was originally shot at. Separate each field by commas, and it's fairly easy to read. But that's the only way to track that metadata. Then, you'd have to make a Text overlay template to fill in time, date manually. Be nice to have them as logging info fields in the Log and Browser windows, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics