is 42 Gb too big for 1 hour movie?

Posted by alioshka 
is 42 Gb too big for 1 hour movie?
November 06, 2009 12:23PM
I´m exporting 1hour movies HDV - 1080p25 with quicktime conversion:
compresion h264, quality best, multipass, 636x357, current, prep.for internet streaming.

once ready in quicktime is 42 Gb wich I believe is too much!confused smiley

I want best resolution but I think there must be something wrong in it!
Do I need to use Compressor and in this case wich option shall I use?

final cut pro 6.04
MACOS X LEOPARD 10.5.6
PORCESADOR 2.8 GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
2GB 800M DDR 2 SDRAM
Re: is 42 Gb too big for 1 hour movie?
November 06, 2009 12:39PM
Just do the math: 42 GB for an hour of footage is equal to a data rate of 143 megabits per second. Whether that's a reasonable data rate depends entirely on what you're trying to do, which you haven't told us.

November 06, 2009 01:43PM
42 GB sounds far too high for a web streaming movie. Don't forget to select a desired data rate. Typically something around 500-1000 Kbps gives a good trade-off between quality and size. And don't forget to also set audio to AAC.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
November 06, 2009 09:02PM
For reference, I have semi-hd (960 x 540) samples posted at various streaming rates to demonstrate what kind of performance you might expect:

www.hd-vo.com

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
November 08, 2009 07:12AM
Thanks a lot to allsmiling smiley of you!

I need a copy with best resolution possible for an exhibition and probably television.
The other could be for internet streaming.

You tell me to select a desired data rate, wich I had it in automatic! Isn´t that better? Is that the reason that makes it too big?

Also when I put sound as you told me to AAC instead of linear PCM, what's the difference?
Also now I set mpeg 4 AAC LC Enc. setting to 128 kbps. and render quality best, is that all right?

Waiting for your kind reply!eye popping smiley
November 08, 2009 08:34PM
Maybe you should ask this question on the new Media compression and conversion forum.

Internet streaming and television are wildly different outcomes. You really need to make two completely different versions of your project in order to get the best quality for both.

For the internet, as you know, you need the file size to be small, and you do this by knocking out things that (hopefully) are not that noticeable to the eye. For TV, the file size is pretty much irrelevant, and you need to deliver whatever the TV station requires it to be delivered as in as high a quality as you can manage.

Anyway, check out the compression forum. Lots of good advice in there about this stuff.

November 09, 2009 07:48AM
thanks a lot Jude, I´ll check there!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics