Re-linked media, can't shake the red "media offline" screen

Posted by jwilliam 
Re-linked media, can't shake the red "media offline" screen
November 12, 2009 01:10PM
I just got the project file & media for a friend's feature & can't shake the "media offline" screen.

Everything is re-linked, the audio plays, but the picture is stuck on a "media offline" banner that names one specific clip. That's the only video I get across 80 minutes of picture. I'm working on a copy of the sequence, and have deleted all the plug-ins via a "select all"/"remove attributes" combo. There was a bunch of color-correcting and a "s_spotlight.plugin" on the footage that I removed.

I can match-frame any clip I like back to the viewer, and it's online and plays nicely. Just won't appear in the timeline.

Is this a "delete preferences" kind of issue? Something else? All the other projects on my system are humming along nicely and trouble-free. This is FCP 6.0.6, running on OS X 10.6.

Thoughts, anyone?

Jeff
Re: Re-linked media, can't shake the red "media offline" screen
November 12, 2009 01:13PM
Trash your thumbnail cache files.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 12, 2009 01:36PM
Thanks, Strypes! That's a good idea, but it didn't work, largely because I'm an idiot.

I deleted both my "thumbnail cache" and "thumbnail data" files. On the timeline clips, both before and after deleting the caches, the thumbnails turn up perfectly fine and visible.

While poking through the timeline, I zoomed out and re-scaled my track sizes to the smallest width. This revealed a massive, media offline reference clip about 6 video tracks above what my timeline was showing. Hadn't even dawned on me that there could be another clip floating above everything that was offline.

Delete that, and voila! Everything is lovely. D'OH!

Palm, meet forehead.
November 12, 2009 03:33PM

Okay, admittedly, I was actually under the impression it was just the thumbnails. Glad you got that fixed though.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics