Client review on web site

Posted by John K 
Client review on web site
November 16, 2009 04:26PM
Hey all,

I'd like to find a more streamlined way to get video clips to my clients, both for review as well as just downloading files. I do have a password-protected area on my site (so that each client has their own folder) but when they log in it's just a bare bones /index page. A LOT of people have no idea what to do on an /index page, as it's not intuitive to click on a video file to view it in the browser or right-click to download it (one client even thought he couldn't right click AT ALL because he had a Mac!)

I'm looking for solutions, ideally a package, service or plugin I can add to my web site to give clients an interface when they log in. Something with very clear options like WATCH NOW or DOWNLOAD THIS. I know about options like YouSendit or MobileMe but those aren't through my company site and I'd like to keep up the professional appearance and consistency of just using one site for everything.

What are you guys using?

JK

November 16, 2009 04:40PM
>What are you guys using?

Wordpress. Shane Ross is on Wordpress too, before that he was on Blogspot.

But seriously, you can just upload it as a quicktime movie, enable fast start. And it will stream. Of course, it's better if you are using an FLV player, as that increases compatibility, but it's not as easily downloadable, unless you configure a download option, which shouldn't be too hard to do.

The problem with the Safari 4, is that it breaks the save as source option on the QT player. Firefox/Opera still has it, but it's gone in Safari 4.

Or, you can go with [www.interdubs.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: Client review on web site
November 16, 2009 04:49PM
Thanks Strypes. And thanks for the head's up on Safari breaking QT download -- I thought something weird was going on.

I'm certainly able to upload Quicktime files now, the problem I have is logistics. I have to copy and paste the urls of those QT files into emails, which is fine for 1-offs but when I have multiple cuts or edits I'd like to just tell them to "look in your folder" and then let them see everything that's available at once.

Interdubs looks about right, but I'd rather not pay someone monthly fees for hosting on their site; I couldn't guarantee I would need the service every month.

November 16, 2009 04:55PM
> Safari breaking QT download

You can still download if you right click on the link. It's just that the button is gone from the player. Kinda weird that Firefox still has it, but it's gone in Safari.

You can always write a simple blank/black HTML page with nothing but the links to the videos, if I catch your drift. You can easily do simple pages like that in Text Edit. And if you have the time, you can add buttons, logos and what nots, or create a simple template and modify from there whenever you need to add a page.

[www.w3.org]

www.strypesinpost.com
November 16, 2009 05:01PM
strypes
You can always write a simple blank/black HTML page with nothing but the links to the videos.

Sure could, but again that's more maintenance; would have to manually update the html every time a new file was placed in the folder. Versus just adding an FTP script to my Compressor jobs and actually going home at the end of the daywinking smiley
November 16, 2009 05:37PM
You could try looking at this:

[www.dvcreators.net]

www.strypesinpost.com
November 17, 2009 07:15AM
<<What are you guys using?>>

[www.mydrive.ch]
November 17, 2009 01:49PM
One of the best solutions for collaborative everything and most affordable because you can rent it monthly, is Market7

[www.market7.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 05, 2009 01:28PM
Completely forgot about this one. All the cool folks are using it and it looks more affordable than market7

Check out INTERDUBS. Developed by Andreas Wacker

[www.interdubs.com]

[www.interdubs.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 05, 2009 10:22PM
On my website, I wrote a straight-up html page with an embedded H264 and modify the notes on it for each client. They email me with any notes / revisions.

Easy.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics