tablet anyone?

Posted by adelena 
tablet anyone?
November 17, 2009 06:05PM
I've been having some trouble with my mouse hand and forearm, bersitis apparently. I've been tossing around the idea of switching from a conventional mouse to a stylus and tablet setup. Does anyone have any experience editing with these? Does it make it any easier on your hand and forearm? If not, am I missing out, should I try it anyway?

Thanks

FCP 6.0.4
4 Core Mac w/4GB RAM
IPD/EVS
Mighty Mouse
Re: tablet anyone?
November 17, 2009 07:09PM
Wacom Tablet since day 1 here (1996). All my experience is with a Wacom tablet & pen. Also do a forum search...we have had many discussions on exactly this topic with a lot of responses.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 17, 2009 08:41PM
I know a bunch of people who use and swear by a tablet. Certainly worth a shot if you're getting sore.

November 18, 2009 04:16AM
Ben is a little tablet whore, and i'd certainly recommend trying it.

Firstly though i would take a look at the hight of your desk/chair/monitors - as my friends kindly point out at about 6"8 im a little tall and it took a long time to get a setup right that i'm comfortable in - you may well find that how you sit will have a far greater effect on your shoulders and arm than changing the input device!
November 18, 2009 09:01AM
> i would take a look at the hight of your desk/chair/monitors

I second that. I'm very comfortable when my arm is around 90 degrees or more from the table, and I tend to use more arm action than wrist on the mouse.

Tablet is definitely very comfortable, and if your wrists hurt, you may want to see a doctor, as you could be looking at carpal tunnel syndrome.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 18, 2009 10:51AM
I have seen a doctor. He confirms that it is bersitis (sp?) probably brought on/aggravated by my job, and I have been taking Celebrex (and it seems to be working.) I notice that my arm fatigues much more quickly now then it used to though, and I would like to be less dependant on a very expensive anti-inflammatory to do my job well.

The ergonomics of my work station are great. My only complaint really, that my monitors are a bit to far away, is un-related to the bursitis in my elbow. I've adjusted my seat so that my arm rests at a 90deg angle to my mouse pad and I use a pad with a raised hand-rest. I use a ShuttlePro in conjunction with an EVS/IPDirector most days and was able to switch that to my left hand which helped quite a bit. There is just no way for me to mouse lefty though. I tried, it ain't working out.

I'm going to talk with our house engineer later today to see if there is an extra tablet laying around that I can experiment a bit with. All of our graphics guys use them. My boss tells me he will see what he can do about getting me a tablet but I don't want to go down that road until I know that I can use it effectively (and that it will help with my elbow problem.)

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions and information. BTW, my wrists are fine, no carpal tunnel, ironic isn't it.
November 19, 2009 03:02PM
I have tried every mouse and trackball ever made and have been working with a tablet for over 15 years nows. its the only way to rock. no scrolling around, just point at what you want and hit are drag it to where you want it to go. also, if you do a lot of work in photoshop and after effects it is a must!
November 19, 2009 03:13PM
A big recommend from me for the tablet. I use them on all my macs for everything. I wouldn't be without them.

Graeme
November 19, 2009 04:53PM
GET THYSELF ONTO THE KEYBOARD.

Sorry for shouting, but many editors I know divvy up the workload roughly 70% keyboard, 30% mouse/tablet/trackball for just these reasons.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke your Opacity/Audio Levels Adjust dialog with
Command-Option-L !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
ron
November 24, 2009 12:13PM
Check out the products from "Xkeys" In particular, the 20 key pad. It enables you to assign any kind of command, combination of commands or shortcuts to any of it's keys. It can reduce a multiple click action on the mouse down to one button. AND... I use it on the left side of my keyboard with my LEFT hand. So my cutting is more evenly divided between both hands. It's in many ways faster than one hand cutting and certainly gives your right hand more rest.
November 24, 2009 08:51PM
You may even want to look into a different mouse. Contour designs has much more ergonomically designed mice in different sizes and learn to hold it properly. Although I use a Logitech MX Revolution with a Contour mouse pad with a wrist support.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
November 25, 2009 12:08PM
I have been tempted to get a poker mouse. Anyone has any experience with that?

www.strypesinpost.com
November 25, 2009 12:14PM
pokermouse? Odds are its not good for editing, I bet ya.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 27, 2009 03:53PM
You could always try going Murch style.

- Justin Barham -
November 27, 2009 04:25PM
She said hands, not feet...

www.strypesinpost.com
November 28, 2009 08:01AM
Some day, when I have my own studio, I'll try just that. Hearkens back to the old flat-bed days.

I've convinced my boss to go to bat for me and see if we can get a tablet in here sometime in the next month or so. Thanks again for all the input and advice.
November 29, 2009 04:17PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She said hands, not feet...

It's a posture thing. I would think that effects the hands too, but I'm no chiropractor.

- Justin Barham -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics