Capturing while shooting

Posted by ron 
ron
Capturing while shooting
November 24, 2009 12:02PM
Is there a way in Final Cut Pro to capture in real time from a camera while shooting - AND - have FCP slave off of the camera's record/stop controls?

Or... is there a third party software that can do this and create .mov files?

I have a Mac laptop and would really like to avoid having to buy a Focus or AJA to capture while shooting.
Re: Capturing while shooting
November 24, 2009 12:07PM

Is there a way in Final Cut Pro to capture in real time from a camera while shooting

Sure. "Capture now." Final Cut will record whatever's going into the in spigot.

AND - have FCP slave off of the camera's record/stop controls?

No, because there's no in spigot for automation: no RS-422 or GPI input. There's no signal path by which the camera can send a start-stop signal to the computer.

Or... is there a third party software that can do this and create .mov files?

It's possible, of course, but I highly doubt it. Again, there's no automation input on your Mac. It might be possible to hack something up using a USB widget that emulates a GPI, but I'm not aware that this has ever been done.

ron
November 24, 2009 12:16PM
Thanks Jeff...

If I hit the "capture now" command in FCP and then go into record on my camera, will the timecode match what's recording on the camera's tape?
November 24, 2009 12:22PM
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on a lot of things, like whether your camera outputs synchronous LTC while it's in record. I wouldn't count on it.

A much better option would be to use an external timecode generator. Jam-sync your camera to it, then pipe the LTC to your Kona board or whatever.

ron
November 24, 2009 12:52PM
Thanks Jeff.
November 24, 2009 02:32PM
No...it won't match what is on your tape. Not unless your camera has timecode out, and you use a box like the AJA IOHD which has TC in and you capture as ProRes. THEN you can do that. Firewire...no way. Sorry.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 24, 2009 05:47PM
Of course if you have something like a firestore, you are already capturing while recording. It's just drag and drop from then on, which is way faster than capturing over firewire. I was able to do three cams doing three hour shoots in about an hour at lunchtime every day a while ago.

November 24, 2009 08:24PM
You can record straight to a Mac and monitor with Scopes, Audio, Zebra, etc with V Scope Live from DVDxDV.com

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics