Unable to convert files since upgrading to FC7 & Snow Leopard

Posted by shelleyrae 
Unable to convert files since upgrading to FC7 & Snow Leopard
November 27, 2009 11:58AM
Hi everyone,

When I was working in FC6 and Leopard I was able to convert any file type such as m4v, wmv, mp4, etc. to Quicktime and edit in FC6. I could use either Compressor, Quicktime Pro, or MPEG Streamclip to convert the files and work with them in FC.

Ever since I've upgraded to Snow Leopard and FC7, although I am still able to convert these various files to QT files, when I try to import the QT converstions into FC7 to edit with them it says it's an "unsupported file type." Yet they (the QT conversions) open and play just fine in the QT, MPEG Streamclip and Compressor applications.

I currently have a project where the only source is a M4v file and I have tried everything I can think of to convert this to a FC friendly format. I can't even start this project until I figure this out and of course the rough cut is due tomorrow. Help!

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Unable to convert files since upgrading to FC7 & Snow Leopard
November 27, 2009 01:22PM
Are you sure you still have the QuickTime Pro license?

www.derekmok.com
November 27, 2009 07:41PM
Also, did you have something like Flip4Mac installed before that was handling the conversion in Quicktime, that needs upgrading or replacing in Snow Leopard?

November 27, 2009 09:02PM
>>>Are you sure you still have the QuickTime Pro license?>>>

Yes. I still have the Quicktime Pro License. I called FC support and they said to make sure that I had installed the Quicktime 7 that was on the Snow Leopard Install Disc. I checked and I did indeed have QT7 even though it was hidden in my utilities folder. I opened Quicktime Pro 7 and then opened the m4V file and exported as a QT movie and changed the options to DV/NTSC as directed by the Apple Support Expert. It took five hours to convert the 1 gig m4v file and it converted it to a 23 gig .mov file. I can open and play the thing in both QT 7 Pro and the QT that comes with Snow Leopard (10.0). But when I try to import the file into FC7 it still says "File Error, 1 file recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unkown"

>>>Also, did you have something like Flip4Mac installed before that was handling the conversion in Quicktime, that needs upgrading or replacing in Snow Leopard?>>>

I do not have Flip4Mac installed on my Snow Leopard Drive with FC7. However, I still have Leopard OS on another drive which also has FC7 as well as Flip4Mac. I tried converting the m4v file from that operating system but it didn't work. So I upgraded my Flip4Mac on the Leopard Drive and that STILL didn't work. It doesn't seem to matter what operating system I'm on. FC7 is not accepting any QT conversions from that m4v no matter what application (i.e., Mpeg Streamclip, QT, Compressor, etc.) My client provided this m4v on a hard drive. It came from Australia, but I don't understand why that would be a compatibility issue. Aren't digital files universal?

I just don't get it. Even though the converted file plays in all other applications, I can't get it into FC to work with. Apple Care phone support is of absolutely no help as usual even though I spoke with the FC Expert. WTF? Thanks for helping.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
November 28, 2009 12:58AM
this all sounds right.

It took five hours to convert the 1 gig m4v file and it converted it to a 23 gig .mov file.

dont know about the time it tok, but that is te rght fle siaze.

I can open and play the thing in both QT 7 Pro and the QT that comes with Snow Leopard (10.0)

good

when I try to import the file into FC7 it still says "File Error, 1 file recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown"

that sounds normal if you are dragging in a folder with a QT file in it into FCP.
is that what you are doing?
if not, i wonder what are these TWO files FCP is seeing???

what happens after that?
does the clip appear in the browser? open in the viewer?

C7 is not accepting any QT conversions from that m4v no matter what application (i.e., Mpeg Streamclip, QT, Compressor, etc.)

now that is really weird. Compressor should definitely make FCP compliant files.

It came from Australia

exported as a QT movie and changed the options to DV/NTSC

that doesn't quite add up.
was it shot NTSC? it may well have been shot as PAL.
although i don't see how this would cause your problems.

are other files that you know should work behaving properly in your new FCP?

nick
November 28, 2009 04:19PM
Hi Nick,

I tried to convert a mp4 file that was also on the Australian drive with the m4v file and that didn't work either. Again, the file opens and plays in QT and MPEG Streamclip but when I try to import the converted file I still get "File Error, 1 file recognized, 0 access, 1 file unknown. It does not show up in my bin. I'm using the "file import" from the menu not dragging and dropping.
I don't know what else to do. It's been two days and I still haven't been able to edit. I guess I can try and call Apple Support and talk to a FC "expert" -- but like I said, I never seem to get anywhere when I call Apple Support.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
November 28, 2009 04:25PM
> But when I try to import the file into FC7 it still says "File Error, 1 file recognized, 0 access
>denied, 1 unkown"

Kind of a wild guess, but I'm suspecting that the codec may be good, but the audio is something that FCP doesn't accept/doesn't like.

Can you open the clip in Quicktime, Hit apple I for the inspector and take a screenshot of the item properties for both the converted and the original clips?

Also, Nick's point is that if it was shot in Australia, it very likely would have been shot in PAL, which means you shouldn't convert to DV NTSC, although that won't cause a problem of FCP not being able to import.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics