new i macs - comments on below

Posted by smyth 
new i macs - comments on below
November 29, 2009 07:27AM
read this today, what do you think. would I be able to go this route instead of a tower?

With the new 2.66GHz Core i5 iMac and the 2.8GHz Core i7 iMac, [u]Apple has not only blurred the line between consumer and professional systems, it's darn near erased it.[/u] The 2.66GHz Core i5 iMac offers faster performance at most tasks than the 2.66GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro. The Core i5 iMac also has more memory and more storage space than the 2.66GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro, while being $500 less (plus you get a 27-inch screen with the iMac). Unless you absolutely require additional PCI cards, multiple internal hard drives, or a lot of RAM, the Core i5 iMac makes a strong case for the being the go-to system for most Mac professionals.

Mitch
Re: new i macs - comments on below
November 29, 2009 08:56AM
I think so, unless you need the stuff he indicated. Lots of people cut on iMacs and have been for years. What kind of work do you do?

November 29, 2009 05:50PM
I like 8-Cores, I like more RAM, and most important, I like a choice of antiglare hardcoat screens rather than the eye candy, thank you very much.

I got a couple of cheap matte screen Acer 22" flats that really surprised me. Damn if they don't look GOOD! The X223W has a thin bezel, too. How long they stay looking good, maybe another story... but they didn't cost but US $280.00 after $40.00 mail-in rebate for the two of them.

Couldn't hook these up to an Apple TV!

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke your Opacity/Audio Levels Adjust dialog with
Command-Option-L !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
November 30, 2009 04:47PM
Two years ago, when I was about to take my first plunge into the world of Mac and FCP, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Get one of those souped-up iMacs to make the investment lighter on the wallet.

In the end, I wound up buying a Mac Pro tower and never regretted the decision for a second. Now it depends on what kind of work you're doing, but if you're going to do professional video editing work-for-hire on even a part-time basis, get the Mac Pro tower.

You can do the same work on an iMac, you can just do it much better on a Mac Pro. The processor power might be almost up to what an older Mac Pro is churning out, but the scalability of the machine makes a huge difference. Adding more RAM, extra internal drives, an external RAID, better speakers, or better monitors down the road is a snap with the tower, but with the iMac, you're pretty much stuck with how it comes out of the box.
December 01, 2009 04:33AM
I am at a similar decision crossroads regarding the new imacs, i wouldn't have considered one until the i5 and i7 models came out.
At a post facility that i work at full time, i use mac pro's with kona card setups and full monitoring and have seen how upgradable the towers are, allowing us to install e-sata cards in the pci slots for example and upgrading video cards.

However at home, i tend to only edit the occasional wedding and corporate edit (destined for the web) plus i have a smaller budget than the company i work for. Not to mention a lot less space and two children who like to get their hands on anything and everything. (My old g4 took many a-pounding from a 4 year old).

This is why i'm looking at the new imacs as they fit in with my general situation and will handle what i cut quite well. Plus the wife will be happy as it 'looks nice.'
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics