what are the EAST SET UP Settings for the Canon D5 ?

Posted by videotape 
what are the EAST SET UP Settings for the Canon D5 ?
December 02, 2009 02:18AM
which basic format is selected exdcam?
Re: what are the EAST SET UP Settings for the Canon D5 ?
December 02, 2009 02:53AM
would you mind elaborating on what you want to do?

www.strypesinpost.com
December 02, 2009 10:17AM
What's a D5? You mean a 5D Mark II?

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
December 02, 2009 11:37AM
There are none. What you need to do (god, I need to make another STOCK ANSWER!) is use Compressor to convert all of the Canon 5D MkII footage from the H.264 that it records, to ProRes 422 at 29.97 (progressive). Then you can use the ProRes 422 Easy Setup.

Yes, the file sizes get drastically larger. H.264 is an acquisition and delivery format, not an editing one.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 02, 2009 12:08PM
Make sure your stock answer includes the difference between retiming the wrong-frame-rate 5D footage to 29.97, and conforming it to 29.97. (Or 23.976, or whatever.)

Or maybe just ignore the whole question for six months, at which time (according to Canon, or so I've heard) there's going to be a firmware update that gets rid of the wrong-frame-rate problem.

December 02, 2009 12:22PM
THey've been promising that for a while. Yeah, it's in there....

#51 - Canon 5D MkII / Canon 7D footage into FCP

Shane's Stock Answer #51 - how do you bring in footage from the Canon 5D and 7D cameras into FCP to edit?

You need to use Compressor to convert all of the Canon 5D MkII footage from the H.264 format that it records, to ProRes 422 at 29.97 progressive. Make SURE that you convert the frame rate to 29.97fps, as the camera shoots 30fps straight up, not 29.97. Then you can use the ProRes 422 Easy Setup.

(If you are in PAL country, convert the footage to ProRes 422 at 25fps)

Yes, the file sizes get drastically larger. H.264 is an acquisition and delivery format, not an editing one.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 02, 2009 03:33PM
what if you want to keep the material as 30p

what would I do in compressor..

there is NO easy set up for the 5d?

thanks
December 02, 2009 03:35PM

what if you want to keep the material as 30p

You don't. We're not talking "30p" in the sense of "29.97 frames per second," like it normally means. We're talking "30p" in the sense of thirty frames recorded per second. Which is not a broadcast standard anywhere on the planet. Footage that comes out of a 5D is not compatible with anything without being converted.

No. There is no easy setup for the 5D, because ? well, see above. It's not compatible with anything without conversion.

December 03, 2009 03:11AM
Hello --

1. Would this also apply to the Canon SD960?

2. Would the audio stay in sync with picture after capture/conversion?

The Canon SD960 Digital Camera can shoot 1280 x 720p video, 30 fps.

From the Canon web site (usa.canon.com), the files are:

MOV (Image: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM (Monaural)

Thanks --

Jack Lindauer
Mac Pro
FCP6
December 03, 2009 07:34AM
If you want to get 5D/7D/1D footage into 25FPS, I've done the hard work for you...

5DtoFCP Download the free complete 5DtoFCp workflow package

December 03, 2009 10:07AM
I've been using a 7D recently, and am really confused, so bear with me a little bit.

We used the 1080/30 setting and I am a little confused...is it 30p or 29.97i...it says something about 30 being 29.97...is it actually 29.97p?

Secondly, I did an edit yesterday using footage from the Sony Z1U and the 7D in these settings. I did use Compressor to convert it to HDV1080i60 to match the Z1U footage, and it looked great on my Cinema display, but when viewing it on a standard 4:3 tube TV, the Z1U footage had the "nice" interlaced video look, and the 7D had the progressive look...even though I converted it in Compressor, I assume the default setting would make it interlaced (I haven't done anything in progressive before, so I only assumed it would look the same as interlaced video). I use the old tube TV as my lowest common denominator for my projects, meaning that if it looks okay there, it will look better on everything else.

Needless to say, the difference between the two cameras was obvious. There wasn't Z1U footage that I desperately needed, so I ended up using only 7D footage.

I'm wondering, for future reference, is there something I should be doing differently when converting the 7D footage...I see Shane recommends ProRes...but would I be getting any different results (aside from quality) than I got by using the HDV1080i60?

I'm a bit confused by frame rates and interlacing/progressive stuff since we got the 7D, and have the opportunity to do anything other than 29.97i. Is there a "dummies" guide out there for this "dummy"?

Thanks!
Casey
December 03, 2009 10:59AM
Take this with a grain of salt, as I don't have the Canon 5D or 7D cameras...

The camera shoots progressive...so it will be progressive. To make that interlaced...why? WHy would you do that? Ick! And convert it to HDV?!?!?! DUDE! HDV is a long GOP format that, well, if you didn't SHOOT to that format, converting something TO that format is stupid. Convert to ProRes, or DVCPRO HD. ProRes is better as it is full raster. And if you need the cameras footage to match, capture the HDV as ProRes too.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 03, 2009 11:05AM
This is the other thing...maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

When I see a typical Hollywood blockbuster DVD...pick one...they're using progressive, not interlaced, and it looks fantastic...not like a cheap progressive imitation on a consumer camcorder, which is what it looks like to me when I try to do it.

Do I have to do something different when I'm encoding or authoring a DVD if I'm using progressive scan?
December 03, 2009 02:55PM

When I see a typical Hollywood blockbuster DVD...pick one...they're using progressive, not interlaced, and it looks fantastic

The typical Hollywood blockbuster is either shot on film at 24fps, or on a digital format, also at 24fps (23.976). They make progressive DVDs because the source material is progressive.

Sony Z1U cannot shoot progressive. It shoots only interlaced, therefore your source will always be interlaced. You can convert an interlaced source to progressive, but it will not look the same as a source shot in progressive format.

Do I have to do something different when I'm encoding or authoring a DVD if I'm using progressive scan?

The short answer is no. If your source is progressive, then the resulting MPEGs from the compressor presets will be progressive.

Andy
December 03, 2009 03:17PM
Okay...another question...when I am in my timeline settings, what should the "field dominance" be set at for this 30p footage...none, upper or lower? My logic would say that it should be none, right?

I'm trying to run a bunch of tests here with the footage. Bottom line, the way I did it looks bad on a tube TV...like I said, it looks like a cheap camcorder's "progressive imitation" look.

Thanks!
Casey
December 03, 2009 03:46PM
This is one of those threads where it seems to be more about the camera than FCP. Having said that here's an easy workflow for those shooting 30P (29.97) with the 7D.

Download MPEG StreamClip from here: [www.squared5.com] [ITS FREE]

1. Copy your clips from your memory card to a folder on your system.
Think of these files as your camera negative, once you've created new ProRes files you can
archive the contents of this folder.

2. Create a new folder
This is the folder that your converted files will be stored in.

3. Launch MPEG StreamClip
In the list drop down menu choose Batch List - /List/Batch List/ Or Command B
Drag the clips you want converted from your archive folder to the list.
A pop-up menu will appear asking you to choose a task. Choose Export QuickTime, enter OK
Another pop-up menu will appear asking you to select the Destination folder, navigate to the
folder you created earlier. This is where the ProRes clips will be placed.
You guessed it, another pop-up menu appears the Movie Exporter. In the Compression drop
down menu choose ProRes [note. If you using FCP7 choose ProRes LT, if your using a
previous version of FCP choose ProRes] We can debate the virtues of the differen version in
another thread. Crank the quality all the way to 100%, check the Frame size 1920x1080
(unscaled) button, uncheck the Interlaced Scaling button and then press the "To Batch"
button at the bottom. StreamClip can do multiple simultaneous task, if you choose 4 in that
drop down and your on a four core machine it speeds up the render bit consumes all the cores
for processing. Then press GO.

4. Launch FCP and import the ProRes clips from the "converted" ProRes folder. When you place
the first clip into the time line it will ask if you want the sequence setting to match the clip
settings, click yes and life should be good. If you check your sequence setting you should see
that it is 1920x1080, ProRes LT 29.97.

Why use StreamClip rather than Compressor? It is much faster and the quality is a little bit better [if you didn't forget to crank the quality to 100%] If you left the Simultaneous Task setting to 1 you can continue to work and StreamClip will process in the background.

After a couple of times this becomes very quick and easy.
December 07, 2009 09:06AM
The 7D shoots at actual broadcast frame rates- i.e. the 30p is actual 30p not 30fps, there's also 24p and 29.97, etc. So different ball game than the 5D Mark II, which only shoots 30 fps.

Noaha

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics