Mixing different formats - Best settings for sequence?

Posted by duff 
Mixing different formats - Best settings for sequence?
December 08, 2009 01:37AM
Hi everyone,
Just a quick question you may be able to help me with. I'm wondering what is the most efficient and best quality setting to have my sequence set to when I am mixing XDCAM EX 30Mbps 1080i60 footage with HDV 1080i50 footage. Currently I just set it to which ever I have the most clips for that sequence, but mostly it's pretty much half of each.

Any advice much appreciated!
thanks
Duff
Re: Mixing different formats - Best settings for sequence?
December 08, 2009 11:36AM
Use a PRORES sequence. Mixing GOP formats is icky.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 08, 2009 12:27PM
And choose a broadcast standard. 1080i60 is NTSC, 1080i50 is PAL. Figure out which standard you'll need to finish in and get the non-conforming footage converted.

Andy
December 08, 2009 01:56PM
OY! I didn't notice the PAL and NTSC mixing! WOW. That can pose ugly problems.

Choose the standard and Andy says. If you have SMALL AMOUNTS of one camera, you can use the STANDARDS CONVERTER from www.nattress.com. But if it's 50/50...oy vey. Do what Andy says and convert one format to another. Terranex, or Compressor (Talking days here if it is a lot of footage).

Avoid this when possible. Mixing frame rates in FCP is ugly. Or go get Avid 4.0 and use that. Mix and Match is EASY, and the software alone can capture via firewire, and import XDCAM EX natively...and mix both frame rates on one timeline rather flawlessly. I demo'd this at the last LAFCPUG meeting.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 08, 2009 08:37PM
Why is it half PAL and half NTSC anyway? Is that a typo?

December 09, 2009 04:30AM
thanks for the help so far, much appreciated.

Our main camera for this project was our EX3 - part way through the project we needed to use a smaller miniDV as a 2nd unit (almost entirely b-roll). We had already been shooting at 1080i60 on the EX3, but the miniDV was only PAL. For now these are only being 'broadcast' online.

So - using a ProRes sequence at 25fps is a bad idea? I thought maybe FCP would do an ok job at converting the ex3 footage to 25fps .... ? Rather than trying to put the PAL footage into 60i timeline ... ?

thanks again
duff
December 09, 2009 07:03AM
No - PAL and NTSC are different sizes, frame rates, colours - everything. You'd get much better results converting one to suit the other before editing.

December 09, 2009 08:24AM
>PAL and NTSC are different sizes, frame rates, colours - everything

Close, but to be more specific, it's just frame rates these days. Most formats in HD are standardized, so both standards observe similar black and white levels, field dominance, and frame sizes (except for DvcproHD).

But FCP is pants at formats conversion. Avid wasn't much better until MC4.

But never mix frame rates in FCP. FCP does a very basic frame rate conversion- it simply discards the frames it doesn't need, resulting in stuttering playback.

Convert everything to the format you need. If you're situated in North America/Japan, I'll convert everything to an NTSC frame rate in ProRes (either off the Teranex or Compressor), and work off a ProRes timeline. The XDCAM footage will not give me full quality playback, but that's ok during the offline. I'll recompress it to ProRes during the online with Media Manager. But that's how I'll work.

If you have less patience for transcoding, then convert everything to the XDCAM EX codec and work off an XDCAM timeline, setting renders to ProRes. Basically when you work in a long GOP format, the time taken for export will sting, as everything needs to be rendered/conformed back to the long GOP structure on export.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 09, 2009 02:07PM
I don't mean to piggy back on the OP's thread but I may be in the same boat looking for the same answer. However if I may ask: When I input the video from the JVC GY-110 HD cam it seemed that every other tape required me to change the format within FCP HD.

One tape would make the cam flash 50/25 and the next tape would make the cam flash 60/30.

Now it wants to render 90% of the video.

I'm I in the same boat as the OP?

Again, not trying to hi jack the thread.
December 09, 2009 07:30PM
Oh, you're right Strypes - had a synapse skip there. Both 1080. But still yeah, convert before import.

Mayhem - erm ... it does sound like a problem - does the camera op know anything about this? Was it different ops? Two cams?

December 10, 2009 03:29PM
Yea, after further review I have 10 tapes in total. 5 at 50/25 and 5 at 60/30. I'm told that means I have too take the 5 pal tapes and get them converted at a dub house somewhere for something like $80 a pop.

Yea, 2 cams were used for the event. Don't know how I missed the settings. I could swear I set both cams up to be exact.

Just to think I did this for damn near free. Big loss.

Anyone know of a good dub house around Culver City. I heard of a place called Lighting dub but can't seem to find it.

EDIT*

Unless some one here can help me with this issue.
December 10, 2009 07:28PM
You can convert to NTSC on your Mac. Here are some options : Compressor conversion or buy Nattress' convertor which is faster here : Nattress Standards Convertor

December 14, 2009 05:12AM
thanks for all the help - I have so so much footage that I think it is best I will just edit at a low quality settting and then only convert the footage I actually use in the edit.

Cheers
December 14, 2009 08:44PM
If you want to watch Shane's demo of Mix and Match you can find it at

[opentvnetwork.com]

Download videos of the LAFCPUG meetings:
Past lafcpug meetings are now online for immediate download. They range in price from free to $3.99. (Price is dependent on length and content) Best deal in town.

You need to sign up for a Customer Account and yes you will be asked for your credit card number. But then you get $5.00 worth of meeting content for FREE. After that your credit card will be charged as you order more lafcpug meeting content.

It?s simple and quick to sign up and after signing up you subscribe via iTunes and check in every so often to catch the next batch of lafcpug meetings. Hey, they come with a free preview too. Go here, sign up, and start downloading lafcpug meetings. For free to $3.99 (Price is dependent on length and content) what?s stopping you?

[opentvnetwork.com]

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics