need to read SxS card on a G5

Posted by Dean R 
need to read SxS card on a G5
December 09, 2009 01:34PM
I've got a G5 dual 2ghz, FCP studio 2, OSX 10.4.11, and I need to work with footage shot on a Sony EX3 and recorded to SxS pro cards. I need to get something to read these cards, so what are my options?
Re: need to read SxS card on a G5
December 09, 2009 02:24PM
Will this USB adapter do the trick? The price certainly is right.

[www.siig.com]
bj
December 09, 2009 04:52PM
Do you have access to the camera?
If you do you could just use the usb output to input in your G5.
December 09, 2009 04:58PM
Nope, don't have access to a laptop either.
bj
December 09, 2009 05:18PM
That SLIG adapter might work.
A bit more expensive, but i have heard that there are also cheap laptops that also have an expresscard 34 slot.
December 11, 2009 11:50AM
It won't work, It says it only works with USB Express cards. SxS is PCIe Express card.

Sony has a SxS PCIe to USB card reader for about $250. I've only seen one other option on the market. It is a multi card reader for professional video people and such and it's something like $1000.

You're faced with some other issues as well. Sony ClipBrowser does not work on PPC Macs. ShotPut does but I'm not sure if it'll work on Tiger. Your alternative is to drag and drop once you get SxS PCIe to USB reader and that opens the door to a bad file copy. ClipBrowser and ShotPut do CRC checking to ensure the copy matches the card.

You're not going to want to hear this but I don't think you have the system for the job. When I first got my EX in late 2007 I didn't have a MacPro, my main computer was also G5 with 10.4.11.

I did have an Intel MacMini and used that with ClipBrowser for transfers and then moved the files via my network to my G5 with FCP. A MacPro will handle the EX codec as if it were DV (FAST) whereas you'll be crawling on a G5.

If your a professional (or even an amateur that has a life) the lost time and money on a kludge workflow will kill you. Buying a MacPro is less expensive than the time you'll lose. I know you don't want to hear it but this from "been there done that" experience. It took me 8 weeks of this and I was convinced MacPro was the only viable way to do this.
December 13, 2009 11:51AM
Dean,

Typically in situations where an editor is doing a relatively "low paying" gig for a client or if it is a freebee, the onus is on the person who supplied the materials to allow the editor to get the material onto the system with relative ease. Supplying the camera is typical or supplying, in your case, the Sony USB SxS card reader.

If you can, I would get (borrow, rent) the camera with the USB cable. It relatively simple and you won't have to worry about SxS compatibility issues with your G5 machine.

If the gig pays well and you are supposed to have the right gear then buy the Sony reader or like Craig recommends, use this as a reason to upgrade your system.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics