Slow Motion Help?

Posted by morganwise 
Slow Motion Help?
December 17, 2009 04:48PM
Okay, so please hold the laughter. I know this isn't the best method for slowing down footage, but you've got to start somewhere...

I'm trying to slow down some 25fps PAL footage--and I'm using the "MODIFY > SPEED" menu. I'm selecting a 4% speed (which actually looks pretty decent with "FRAME BLENDING" selected). But...

Here's the problem:

In the viewer and canvas windows, when the media is UN-RENDERED, using this 4% method works. The footage moves fluidly--and actually looks pretty decent. When I RENDER the footage, however, the slow motion clips come out with a strange, almost jerky, back and forth movement--and are no longer fluid. It's ironic, because I actually like the look of the un-rendered footage better...

Any suggestions? Any help? Pretty please?
Re: Slow Motion Help?
December 18, 2009 03:26AM
have tried output of this slow-mo?

slow-mo is both preproduction and post production. i.e

if you want to slow it by 50 percent the in pre shoot 60p and drop that into a 30p line. in a 24 p line its roughly 40%. this mean that the footage is preped for a 50% slow mo by shooting in 60p.

Hd footage can go slower when shoot at 60p and retain clean detail.

However, FCP it not the place for everything, and slow-mo would be in the top 3. Motion 3 or 4 does this better with optical flow. and you can drop the motion project right into FCP without export to .mov.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
December 18, 2009 11:23AM

if you want to slow it by 50 percent the in pre shoot 60p and drop that into a 30p line. in a 24 p line its roughly 40%. this mean that the footage is preped for a 50% slow mo by shooting in 60p.

Sorry...but that advice makes absolutely not a word of sense to me...literally.

Morgan,

If I am understanding you correctly, if you are going from 100% to 4% in Final Cut Pro (Speed Dialog), you will never get a smooth flowing playback. It will stutter horribly.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 18, 2009 11:55AM
> the slow motion clips come out with a strange, almost jerky, back and forth movement-

What is the source format and what is your sequence format?

www.strypesinpost.com
December 19, 2009 03:41PM
Joe this makes no sense to you because you think of knocking me first.

60p in a 30p line is ready to be at 50% speed without interpolation. I would like you to explain how that is not true??????????????????

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
December 19, 2009 07:44PM

60p in a 30p line is ready to be at 50% speed without interpolation. I would like you to explain how that is not true??????????????????

When I drop a 60 fps spot on a 30 fps TIMELIME (proper terminology) and hit "play" (which I am doing right now), the spot plays normally at 30 fps...NOT 50% SPEED.

Now when I bring the same 60 fps clip into After Effects and in the "Interpret Footage" Dialog box select "Frame Rate: Conform to Frame Rate" and punch in 30 fps, the clip now plays at 50% speed (but the audio doesn't sync up anymore).

If this is the result Mr. Corbett was going for, he did not described it correctly using proper terminology which can be confusing and therefore should not be given as advice.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

December 20, 2009 12:15AM
Mr. Corbett, I believe you are talking about over cranking.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Morgan, as in my earlier post, I suspect it to be an issue with inverted fields (lower field first in an upper field first sequence). FCP has always had an issue with that. Try converting the source footage to your sequence codec before doing the speed ramp.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 20, 2009 12:37AM
wow

When i do slow-mo i do the 60p and then drop it in 30p in FCP and set speed at 50% i get decently smooth slow-mo. less than 50% i wont even use FCP. Thus over cranking for a planned post process.
However, i see your point. And yes the terminology may have not been best for this type of post.

THANKS Joe.

""""
December 20, 2009 02:58PM
Hi there Mr. Morelli. Thanks for the response. It's true, I'm thinking even with FCP's frame blending, a 4% speed will always have a stutter to it. I guess my hope is to find a way of achieving an effect with a FORWARD-moving stutter--if that makes sense. As it is now, the footage stutters forwards and BACKWARDS. Which doesn't really look like slow-motion.

But I'm almost there, so I'll keep experimenting. Perhaps I'll try altering the footage in AfterEffects or through Motion's "Optical Flow", as mentioned above.

M
December 20, 2009 03:06PM
Hi Gerard.

Thanks for the suggestion about maintaining consistency between my clip and sequence settings. Unfortunately, the settings are already both matched (25fps, PAL-CCIR 601 pixel aspect ratio, Upper/Odd Field Dominance). Perhaps my difficulty here is simply the consequence of working with exotic footage. The media that I'm working with is from Sweden...

But I'm ever-hopeful. I'll see if I can't find a solution with a bit more experimentation, especially with AfterEffects and/or Motion. They might help...

M
December 20, 2009 03:08PM
What codec is your footage? and what is your sequence set to? Select the clip and hit apple 9. What does it say under "compressor". What is codec is your sequence set to?

www.strypesinpost.com
December 20, 2009 09:06PM
Send the clip to Motion and engage Optical Flow speed effects. There are also a number of speed behaviors that work great there, as well.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
December 23, 2009 08:17AM
@ Kevin Monahan . . .

what are the 'other' speed behaviours? how have you found them? using optical flow it seems to be hit and miss wether you get ghosting/traces on the edge of the image or not . . .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics