Quicktime compatibility with FCS 1

Posted by Scott Taylor 
Quicktime compatibility with FCS 1
January 01, 2010 04:37PM
I'm a little behind the times, running FCS 1 (5.1.4), Quicktime 7.6, OSX Tiger 10.4.11, all on a Mac Pro quad core. My new iPod I got for Christmas won't work with the iTunes I have (8.1.1), it wants ver 9. I hesitate to upgrade iTunes because I believe it is going to want me to upgrade QT as well, to 7.6.4. I get this impression from a recent post from someone running into this requirement when they upgraded their iTunes, and if anyone has definitive information on this please pass it on.

And the reason this concerns me is that I think I've heard that QT ver 7.6.4 doesn't play nicely with FCS 1. I have plans to upgrade to Leopard and FCS 3 in the reasonably near future, but it's not in the cards right away and I need to keep going with FCS 1 for now.

Can anyone confirm or deny my concerns about QT 7.6.4 and FCS 1? And while you're at it, confirm whether upgrading iTunes is going to force a QT upgrade? Or point me somewhere that has the answer?

I really want to load my iPod, but I can't afford to disable myself in the process.

Scott
Re: Quicktime compatibility with FCS 1
January 03, 2010 01:50PM
I really wish someone had at least an opinion. Is anyone here running FCP 5.1.4 with QT 7.6.4, and loving it? Or hating it? The question really goes beyond my silly iPod.

Scott
January 05, 2010 06:46AM
I've heard that vaguely too, that 5.1.3 and 7.6.4 causes sync issues (?) although I can't say where and I wouldn't bet my life on it being true for everyone.

Easiest solution, don't upgrade until all your ducks are in a line. Most useful solution, upgrade and see if it breaks everything. If not, great, if so, uninstall the new QT and re-install the old one using something like Pacifist.

January 05, 2010 12:07PM
Thanks for stepping up, Jude! I have that same "vague" memory of a problem, that's what concerns me. I was hoping to hear from someone who was running that combination, successfully or unsuccessfully. If the "problem" is merely annoying, I can live with it, but I want to avoid a show-stopper.

OK, I could go ahead and upgrade and see what happens, but that leads to 2 more questions. If I need to go back to QT 7.6, where do I get it?** And if I uninstall 7.6.4 and drop back, do I lose my QT Pro status? Remember, they no longer provide a Pro key with FCP, it's done automatically during FCS installation.

Scott

**OK, I went to the Wiki and found up to only 7.5, but that led me to searching on Apple's site and I found 7.6. But Strype's warnings in the Wiki about downgrading QT don't give me a fuzzy feeling! Bless you for the Wiki, but it does need updating on this subject.
January 05, 2010 07:41PM
Yeah the wiki does need updating - I think we need a whole thing on QT X - weird little thing that that is. It tends to happen in chunks, updating - when people have the time and inclination.

I have to say I don't know about the QT Pro status. I imagine it would all be fine, but certainly don't want to jeopardise your system by guessing. If I find a system running your config I'll let you know how it goes.

January 07, 2010 09:35AM
>OK, I could go ahead and upgrade and see what happens

Clone your drive before upgrades. Don't rely on Pacifist.

As far as compatibility is concerned, there are no guarantees. I know of an FCP 4 machine that is running the latest version of QT 7, and it's not capturing. Not sure if it's QT, but I've trashed prefs, and it just doesn't capture DV via firewire, and keeps saying "no video". Deck control works. But heck, that machine's only used for capturing casting videos.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics