Best reliable Internal HD recommendations?

Posted by harry323 
Best reliable Internal HD recommendations?
January 09, 2010 05:19PM
I apologize for posting what is an almost weekly question on this board. However, things change.

A few years ago G-Tech was making reliable drives. But my stack of external G-Techs is dying off and I just think that the quality has dropped of late ... plus, they aren't conveniently in Santa Monica anymore for a swap-out.

So, all you guys who know about these things, like Joey and Derek and Strypes and and and ...

I have to buy an INTERNAL drives (not a raided system). I need about 4TB. Something like that. I have one drive slot left in my 8 core. I'm editing HD 422 ProRes Hi Quality.

Please recommend what you feel is currently in favor. And I do know that this ultimately boils down to the luck of the draw and can depend of which actual drive the manufacturer has chosen to stick in their enclosure and stamp with their name this month.

And I did check the FAQ, but I guess that's not the kind of information that gets posted there.

Best wishes

Harry.
Re: Best reliable Internal HD recommendations?
January 09, 2010 09:16PM
They don't make 4 TB internal single drives. As for a company, I only use Hitachi currently.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 09, 2010 10:31PM
I have all Seagates in my Mac Pro and after 4 years they are all running Fine. Although some of the drives are only 1 to 2 years old. But I don't hammer them all day long like Joe does. But I do hammer them.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
January 10, 2010 12:22AM
Many thanks for the replies and for the advice, guys.

Much appreciated.

Harry.
January 10, 2010 08:54AM
Basically there are 2 grades of hard drives- the usual ones you get and the server class drives. Server class drives are usually more reliable and are faster, but they're much pricier. I got Seagates. Yea, they had a bad batch last year, and horrible PR to manage the screw up, but stuff like that always happens.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 10, 2010 11:22AM
Thans for the info.

Harry

Harry Bromley-Davenport.
January 10, 2010 01:16PM
Not sure why you aren't going for a RAID this time, but I'd advice you to, because drives will always fail.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 10, 2010 04:27PM
Fry's today has although you stated you needed 4TB 1 TB Hitachi drives on sale for $69.00 I'm about to get me a couple. Hope you all have a Fry's in your area.

------------------------
Dean

January 10, 2010 04:48PM
I just picked up two of those Frys 1TB Hitachis. You should know that it is limit one per customer but the girl at the register still charged me the sale price on two of them, which was nice. Other Frys may have sharper cashiers though that may enforce the one only at this price rule.

Dan
January 10, 2010 06:57PM
I was pretty sure their ad had a 2 per person limit. Yep it is 2 PP.

------------------------
Dean

January 10, 2010 07:01PM
>Yep it is 2 PP.

Nice... Time to bring out the family!

www.strypesinpost.com
January 11, 2010 03:04AM
[ 1 TB Hitachi drives on sale for $69.00]

MicroCenter on sale with the Hitachi 1TB for $54.00-- and no limit that I know of. I have two. They're singing in my drive bays 1 and 2 plus the lower DVD bay.

Haven't even RAIDED them and they're managing short clips of 1920 X 1080 ProRes4444 without a burp in FCP and AE!

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Set a motion effect keyframe instantly with Control-K!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
January 11, 2010 08:31AM
I would agree with the Hitachi recommendations but also Samsung SpinPoint models are also very reliable too.

I have 3x 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1 as the System Disks for Mac OSXSL, Mac OSX L and Windows 7

Then I have 16x 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1 in a 16TB RAID 5

I have 4x 2TB Hitachi and 4x 2TB WD Greens in a DroboPro for Online Backup

And 8x 500GB Hitachi Deskstars that are in a 4TB RAID 5 that is still working after 4 years.

Samsung & Hitachi both have the electronics and performance to reliably make RAID arrays with all their Desktop models; Seagate and WD I think only recommend certain specific RAID models.

So the only reason you might go for the Enterprise (Server Class Drives as G said) models would be to get the extended warranty or slight increase in reliability/performance.

From personal experience I wouldn't spend the extra money unless it's the employers winking smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 11, 2010 09:05AM
RAID class drives are actually enterprise/server class drives. They come with higher MTBF ratings and a lower URE count. The two classes of drives. From my personal standpoint, I agree with Ben, as you already get redundancy from RAIDs and back ups.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 11, 2010 09:40AM
My Frys must have had the tag on the display wrong (Oxnard) because even the person who helped me find them said one per person.

Sounds like MicroCenter would be the best deal anyway, that is really cheap. Thanks for the heads up Loren.

Dan
January 12, 2010 05:45AM
Jeepers, Ben.

You really should look into updating your storage. You don't seem to have nearly enough...

smiling smiley

deb
January 12, 2010 07:59AM
Yeah I know its a hard life... I didn't mention the other 18TB of client archive storage though...

Anyway this is next on my shopping list: [www.ramsan.com]

Although it would feed 7.5 MacPros via PCIe 2.0 at 8GBps

Just gotta find a client who wants to foot the bill tongue sticking out smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 12, 2010 11:26AM
I'd get this one

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 12, 2010 12:19PM
And the unbreakable phone...

[212.58.226.143]

Not sure if that drive housing comes with Firewire connection though.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics