changing non-drop frame to drop frame?

Posted by Eddietor 
changing non-drop frame to drop frame?
January 13, 2010 04:20PM
Can you change a non-drop frame sequence to drop frame? If so, how?
Re: changing non-drop frame to drop frame?
January 13, 2010 11:04PM
Make a copy of the sequence for safety.

Select the copy and hit apple-0 (zero, not O)

Under the Timeline Options tab, tick the box that says "Drop frame". You will notice the last colon change to a semicolon in the starting timecode window.

That's it.

deb
January 14, 2010 09:14AM
Thanks, but the drop frame tick box is greyed out, it will not allow me to tick it. Any suggestions? Editing timebase is 23.98, not sure if that makes any difference.
January 14, 2010 09:50AM
Make a new Sequence. Use an Easy Setup if you can. Make sure the new Sequence is set for drop frame.

Load that into the Timeline. Then open up the "offending" Timeline, select all the clips (apple-a), then copy them (apple-c). Click on the tab in the Timeline for the new drop frame Sequence you created, and paste (apple-v) the clips into that Timeline.

There's nothing magical about drop-frame vs. non-drop. It's just a counting scheme. It doesn't affect the clips. It just counts all the frames in a different manner.

deb
January 14, 2010 09:55AM
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I understand the difference between the two, the issue is that the closed captioning company as well as the TV station requires drop frame and this project was begun with non-drop selected.

Thanks again!
January 14, 2010 02:34PM
There is no drop frame equivalent for 23.976 sequences. It will, in FCP at least, always be 24frame timecode. That means that basing your sequence duration on the timecode count of 23.976 sequences will always be off by .1%.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 14, 2010 04:22PM
Shoot. You're of course absolutely right, Andrew.

That's what I get for reading too fast!

deb
January 14, 2010 05:52PM
Yup...23.98 is only NDF. Can't have a DF 23.98 sequence.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 20, 2010 10:55AM
ok, I copy/pasted the clips into a new sequence with a 29.97 drop frame setting and all is well.

Thanks!
January 20, 2010 11:42AM
You put 23.98 footage into a 29.97 sequence? Why? FCP doesn't add the proper pulldown when you do that. It won't look right.

>the issue is that the closed captioning company as well as the TV station requires drop frame and this project was begun with non-drop selected.

Oh. Well, it would be best to output a QT movie from this timeline for the CC company, so that you ONLY use this footage for timing. But when you output to tape, it would be far better to output via a capture card and let it handle the pulldown. You aren't going to embed the CC file and output that way, right? You are going to have the tape dubbed with CC? This would be the best way then.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics