How to Set-Up Mac Pro Dual Core for HD Digitization and Playout

Posted by syncpro 
How to Set-Up Mac Pro Dual Core for HD Digitization and Playout
January 19, 2010 05:16AM
Hi,

I realize this question has probably been answered before, so please forgive me for making you repeat yourself. I am a production assistant at a film marketing company (so unfortunately, my technological understanding is limited).

We normally work with Avid machines, but we have a Mac Pro (Dual-Core, not Quad) with FCP Studio 2 installed, and we are thinking of using this machine for our online editing needs (specifically ? we usually create 2K trailers that we then deliver as DPX files for film outs). Our input material can come as DPX files on lacie drives or on HD-Cam (SR) tapes. We do not have an HD deck, so we would be renting this from a facility if we needed to digitize in HD tapes.

However, we are not sure if we need to make any hardware/software upgrades in order to edit at true HD quality and also to hook up an HD deck in order to digitize the material. I believe we also have Blackmagic software installed, but I?m not aware of the particulars. I can try to find out what are current software/hardware we have installed if that would be helpful.

Some people have suggested we might need to upgrade the following:

-Graphics Cards
-RAID
-PCI Express Card
-Capture Cards

Also, I saw something about I/O needs (SDI, Component, Firewire, Y/C, Break-out-box, direct connections), etc?

I realize it might be somewhat difficult to answer the question of ?what should we do now?? but if you have any advice, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Kindest regards,
Katie
Re: How to Set-Up Mac Pro Dual Core for HD Digitization and Playout
January 19, 2010 11:55AM
Best to call a company or consultant that knows about the hardware needed and how to install it. ProMax is one such company. www.promax.com. As is Key Code media: www.keycodemedia.com

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics