Recreate digital TV noise?

Posted by John K 
Recreate digital TV noise?
January 19, 2010 03:47PM
Working with a client on a music video project and they want to incorporate the kind of digital blips, hits and hiccups you see sometimes on digital cable or satellite. Anyone know of any plugins that can replicate that, either for FCP/Motion or AE? I could create the stuff manually but I'd rather save time if there's something already available.

It's funny, all of the 'Bad TV' filters out there that I've seen are all about replicating the bad reception problems of another era. Pretty soon nobody's going to recognize the effect of a wavy, rolling screen with static!

TIA, JK

January 19, 2010 10:46PM
Core Melt have something called Digital Glitch
[www.coremelt.com]
Re: Recreate digital TV noise?
January 20, 2010 04:59PM
No. It will last forever just like everybody knows a radar screen has to go round and round and a newsroom has to sound like a teletype. somebody posted a "movie reality" list of these silly effects.

It could also be said that off-air distortion is unique. Digital freeze-ups and crashing look pretty much the same no matter where they come from and most people alive today remember what analog off-air looks like.

Koz
January 20, 2010 08:15PM
Checked out the Bad TV filter in the new FCS?

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
January 21, 2010 10:10AM
Some old VHS decks will give you snow when no tape is inserted.
January 22, 2010 05:47PM
Thanks Andy, that may be close to what I need; will have to download the trial to see if it works. Too bad it's only included in the whole suite ($300)

January 22, 2010 05:48PM
@ Kevin, yeah but it's same old analog-style bad TV (static, roll, waves) and not modern glitches, pixelation, etc.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics