FCP to Blu Ray

Posted by jenvery 
FCP to Blu Ray
January 26, 2010 12:39PM
HI! Does the new FCS have the capability to burn direct to Blu Ray through an external burner? Or does it need Toast Titanium Pro as well? Also which external or internal burners do you recommend to create Blu Ray discs that play video? I am looking at Pioneer BDR 205, let me know your experiences? Thank you!
Re: FCP to Blu Ray
January 26, 2010 04:17PM
FCS3 can handle this via Share and Compressor. No recommendations for an external burner though. Simplest solution is to burn a blu-ray playable disk right to a standard DVD-R disk. It will play on a blu-ray player. Costs nothing.

Read this

[www.kenstone.net]

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 26, 2010 04:21PM
jenvery,

YES...you can burn a Blu-Ray with FCS and an external burner (no recommendations).

Check out my friend Kevin Monahan's Blu-Ray Templates for FCS (Final Cut Studio):

[www.fcpworld.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 27, 2010 08:47AM
How much video would fit on a standard DVD that is Blu-Ray compatible?

Casey Petersen
www.unitedvideoinc.com
January 27, 2010 10:55AM
As much as the standard DVD will hold

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 27, 2010 11:01AM
Ha ha!

But seriously...at the quality that Ken Stone is talking about? Is it closer to 30 minutes at that bitrate?
January 27, 2010 11:13AM
Thats a math question Casey. Don't you know me?

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 27, 2010 11:18AM
The math is easy. From Ken's page:

So, are these hybrid discs full quality Blu-ray discs? The answer is no. We are using SD DVD burners (red laser), to burn AVCHD discs with an average bit rate of 14.7 Mbps and a max bit rate of 17 Mbps. Blu-ray, with its blue laser, uses an average bit rate of 30 Mbps and a max bit rate of 34.5 Mbps. The significantly higher bit rates of Blu-ray, means that a much greater amount of information is transfered per second, resulting in higher quality video.

A single-layer DVD will hold about 45 minutes at the average data rate of 14.7 Mbps, or about 40 minutes at 17 Mbps. Dual-layer DVDs will hold (surprise) twice that amount.

January 27, 2010 11:50AM
Show off! smoking smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 27, 2010 11:52AM
Oooh, yes, I'm ever so proud of my ability to double-click on "Bitrate Pro" and stick in a couple numbers.

Seriously, it's a handy little utility. Lets you convert minutes to gigabytes and back for a given bit rate. Free, too.

January 27, 2010 01:23PM
Jeff's back, everybody.

btw...link for that handy little tool?

January 27, 2010 02:12PM
I've had no luck with sending out AVCHD discs so far. A lot of the older BR players won't play them. a PS3 will, along with some of the newer players. If it's critical, I think it's best to get a proper BR burner and make Blu-Rats to send out, rather than risk making a coaster that won't work on the other end...

JK

January 27, 2010 02:15PM
I guess I got it. Don't like recommending something without a link:

[www.apple.com]

February 02, 2010 03:00PM
thanks for all the info! For some reason I am not receiving replies via email even if I click on the send replies to me via email? Anyone else have this prob? Jen
February 02, 2010 03:06PM
Did you check your e-mail and spam options? Perhaps your LAFCPUG notifications are going to your spam folder.

www.derekmok.com
February 02, 2010 05:05PM
Jen
For some reason I am not receiving replies via email even if I click on the send replies to me via email?

And of course, make sure you have your email address spelled right in your profile. It's always something.

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics