Matrox PCI card showing up as a network modem?

Posted by jwilliam 
Matrox PCI card showing up as a network modem?
January 29, 2010 05:42PM
Anyone have a clue what's up with this? I just bought a Matrox MXO2, and when I installed the PCI interface card, my Network Preferences window opened up, showing the card as Matrox...22 Port with a phone modem icon.

Did I install the card in a wrong slot? Do I have to configure this card separately somehow? Why would my Mac want to see this as a modem and try to configure an internet connection through this?

The computer seems to be playing nice with the Matrox box, and updated the firmware without a hitch, so why do I get 'not configured' in my network panel.

Curious.

(Running Mac Pro tower, 10.6.2 OS)
Re: Matrox PCI card showing up as a network modem?
January 29, 2010 05:48PM
I haven't used that device myself, but my guess is that the Mac is detecting the RS-422 port the MXO2 provides for deck control. Same thing happens the first time you install a Kona board; the system thinks the 422 deck control port is just a generic serial port. Which makes sense, 'cause it is, technically.

You can probably just ignore it, like you do with a Kona board. Programs like Final Cut that need deck control will use the port, but as far as the OS goes, it can remain unconfigured and inactive.

January 29, 2010 05:57PM
Thanks!

Since everything else works just fine, I was planning on ignoring it. Snow Leopard was a little insistent on configuring this when I first re-booted my system, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing the pooch by letting it slide.
January 29, 2010 07:25PM
Ignore it. Happened to me too. Just ignore it.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics