24p to NTSC 29.97

Posted by drtuzi 
24p to NTSC 29.97
February 03, 2010 04:08AM
Most of what I cut is for web and display on a computer screen from cd.

I shot a web spot in 24p - client liked enough to want it redone for broadcast

wanted to double check new sequence settings with people who deal with this more often than I do

source footage is 1280x720p xdcam ex

cable company says:

We will accept AVI, MPEG-2 or MOV files only.
Resolution: 720 X 480

sequence settings:

720x480 (NTSC DV)
Pixel Aspect: NTSC CCIR 601 DV
Field Dominance: Lower
Timebase: 29.97

I planned on rebuilding the spot using ProRes and outputting thru compressor. Here's where I start getting muddled...

mov is container, not a codec - which codec the most common when uploading to a cable company in major market (yes, I'll call to confirm, but don;t want to sound like a complete moron - also - don't want to use DV and compress it that much)

Last bonehead question (for tonight anyway)

I'm always DE-interlacing stuff so it works in my progressive projects - when going in the other direction - do I have to add interlacing at some point?Does that happen in compressor?

Thanks in advance
Re: 24p to NTSC 29.97
February 03, 2010 04:54AM
Usually you do not de-interlace for broadcast. Broadcast has traditionally been interlaced. However, as the standards look weird (i'll get to that in a bit), you may want to call up to check, but they specified lower field first, so that denotes interlacing, but again, they're weird specs. Do make sure you run the signal through a proper broadcast monitoring system to check for field issues and other oddities that may occur when you don't.

Usually online submissions are compressed to mpeg2 with a specified bit rate and GOP length. And usually they won't accept DV as a master.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: 24p to NTSC 29.97
February 03, 2010 10:16AM
If you simply played that out to a DV deck through Firewire from FCP it would add the proper pulldown and be good to go. Drop it into a 24p DV sequence and render if needed.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics