Teranex vs. Kona 3 with FCP for hi-def upconverts?

Posted by jwilliam 
Teranex vs. Kona 3 with FCP for hi-def upconverts?
February 06, 2010 05:32PM
Does anyone have any experience or opinions on SD to HD upconverting footage with the Teranex? Does it give a notably better result than the Kona 3? Or at least to a degree that justifies the cost?

I'm looking at taking on a project that would start with pre-existing shows on digibeta, slightly re-editing and re-formatting them and then outputting to HDCAM with the 4:3 pillar boxes, with the up-convert happening on the output.

Any thoughts? Workflow suggestions? If you had the choice between the Kona 3, a Teranex mini, a full-on Teranex box, or the on-board record capabilities of an HDCAM deck, which would you prefer?

Thanks -

Jeff
Re: Teranex vs. Kona 3 with FCP for hi-def upconverts?
February 06, 2010 06:11PM
Never tried the Teranex mini, but I'll go with the Teranex over the Kona 3 or the deck. It's cleaner.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 06, 2010 06:25PM
The Kona 3 compares well with the Terranex mini. But if you have the money, a full blown Terranex upconvert is VERY noticably better than the Kona 3.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 06, 2010 06:31PM
Thanks!

Shane, since you're LA based & plugged in, any recommendations on where'd be a good place to get a Teranex cost estimate? Even if it's laughably high, it's good to cover the bases.

Are they rentable like HDCAM decks? Or is a full on Teranex box the kind of complicated hardware that requires a facility & on-site tech staff for best results?
February 07, 2010 03:02AM
They aren't rentable. Only at post houses. Lightning Dubs, Point 360...try them.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 08, 2010 09:45AM
Standalone, all the methods look reasonable, but side-by-side, Teranex conversions are a standout compared to what a deck or a Kona card can do.

We have both Teranex minis and a Teranex Xantus, which can do the job. I apologize for the self promotion on this site, but as it seems relevant, please know that you can contact us (Tree Falls Post/Clonetown) for this kind of work in L.A.

Email me to discuss.

Mike Klinger
Tree Falls Post/Clonetown
Los Angeles
February 08, 2010 01:32PM
No...I concur with Mike. Terranex is absolutely the best way to go. If you have the money to do it, you should. I've just been saddled with shows with very limited budgets, so I rely on the Kona, or the Avid software, to do the conversions.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics