AVCHD footage jittery after log and capture

Posted by hunterlee 
AVCHD footage jittery after log and capture
February 08, 2010 07:35PM
Hey guys,

Im logging and capturing AVCHD footage from a sony cam. the Footage is choppy and jittery when i play it. Anyone had that problem before? How do i fix it. I would really appreciate someone's help.

Mac Pro
FCP 6.06
8gs ram
Re: AVCHD footage jittery after log and capture
February 08, 2010 07:39PM
Well, AVCHD comes in either as ProRes or Apple Intermediate Codec...which did you choose? And where is this footage stored? ProRes requires decently speedy drives to play back. Firewire 800 at least, raided FW800 better, eSATA better, internal SATA that is NOT your system drive...better still.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 08, 2010 07:48PM
Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, AVCHD comes in either as ProRes or Apple
> Intermediate Codec...which did you choose? And
> where is this footage stored? ProRes requires
> decently speedy drives to play back. Firewire 800
> at least, raided FW800 better, eSATA better,
> internal SATA that is NOT your system
> drive...better still.

Shane,
it is imported as ProRes. The footage is stored on my one of my internal drives. I tried changing the scratch to different drives, but i get the same results.
February 08, 2010 07:56PM
how do i change it to compress it to AIC
February 09, 2010 01:08AM
In the Log and Transfer window, there's a little button that will bring up the preferences. I'm not on FCP right now, but I think it looks like a little gear icon.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 09, 2010 01:44AM
still not working....the footage still coming out jittery...but the audio is fine
February 09, 2010 02:22AM
Is there a shift fields being applied? Check the filters tab on one of the suspect clips.

February 09, 2010 08:25PM
Yeah when you say jittery do you mean frames are being dropped or you are seeing overlapping fields?

-Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
February 10, 2010 03:24PM
The footage seems like it is dropping frames. I've converted the footage to both ProRes and AIC . both with the same results. The issue is not my drives handling the ProRes footage. I've used ProRes for over a year. I've used the log and capture to covert the Red footage and it all worked fine. Could it be the footage from the camera itself? its from a small hand held Sony camera.

Also, there is no effects in the effects tab.

Anyone ever had this issue. I
March 01, 2010 03:03PM
I've been having this problem lately too. But, only on one of my computers. The other is fine. Interesting though, I only have the jittery problem when I play the Prores 422 clip off my harddrive using quicktime. Once I dragged the clip onto a sequence in FCP, it plays fine. So, I can edit now even though I'm not sure why the clip jitters outside FCP, while on my other computer I can play in QT or FCP.

One possibility is that FCP is transferring my AVCHD media through the P2 codec there instead of the AVCHD codec. When I select preferences and try to assign the codec of my choice, and then I go back and click on preferences again, its always on the P2 codec, and not on AVCHD.

Hope this post helps someone!
March 02, 2010 09:41PM
Are you transferring from a card or from a camera using USB? Was the AVCHD recorded to an SDHC card or internal memory and what was the class of the card if recorded to?

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics