Reference Speakers for Training

Posted by paurray 
Reference Speakers for Training
February 10, 2010 03:54AM
Hi, hi

So I am training at a company in Berlin.

Part of the program is that I do an audio work shop using a huge Sony HD TV and a logitec "Speaker System" for under 50? using the headphone socket on a laptop.

[www.logitech.com]

Whilst demonstrating how to set the keyframes I literally couln´t hear more than a 6 frame shift! Maybe I´ve been spoilt with my Spendors etc. But if I can´t hear what is going on I don´t think that my students will get it either!

So I proposed buying the following

[www.genelec.com]

My argument being it looks great (company is obsessed by looks;-) and sounds half way honest.

Haven´t heard it but this would be by guess.

The managements answer was short and simple...

"is there anything cheeper?"

Other stuff that is probably too expensive

[www.m-audio.com]

[www.mackie.com]

Again, the speakers are not really for 24/7 critical listening.

The key for me is that they need to be have detail for demonstrating sound fades.

Before saying oh heck, then I´ll just settle for the Logitech Nintendo Variation!

Any one like to suggest some alternatives between ?100-?180?

Thoughts suggestions welcome :-)
thanks

Paul

A line has 2 Sides

[finalbug.net]
[paurray.de]
[lostsensemedia.org]
Re: Reference Speakers for Training
February 10, 2010 12:25PM
For Speakers easy.....
Get a load of these hear are the hotest thing on the market. Very Very flat and HF adjustable. The sell a the Rockit 5 for 149. per.

I can comfortably say you can not get a better speaker for the price anywhere with any other manufacturer.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
February 10, 2010 03:40PM
>using the headphone socket on a laptop.

Not too sure about this being "best quality". Unbalanced line level outputs?

www.strypesinpost.com
February 10, 2010 03:54PM
I like Bose speakers for semi cheap laptop speakers. Also Audio Engine makes some affordable stuff in that range.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
February 10, 2010 10:45PM
yeap strypes headphone jacks will not connect to the krks. miss that.

the m-audios might be a better shot. they pre sweetened so the sound is really not that flat. But for what you are doing they will suffice.
2nd choice would be the mackies they are flatter than m-audio but has a slight muddy mid low but better mid to high. we have a pair of they at the studio on a laptop with the exact connection you speak of.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
February 11, 2010 07:29AM
thanks all

the KRK´s look great

but are probably over kill

is there any way to connect them to a laptop?

the M-Audio are my current favourites

"they pre sweetened so the sound is really not that flat. But for what you are doing they will suffice"

main thing is that we can hear minor audio frame changes

it doesn´t have to be perfect but that we can hear what is going on is very cool :-)

the Mackie´s also look good

eg

SRM50v

but will also have similar connection problems as with the KRKs

now management are complaining that the M Audio look cheep, sigh

any one know the Genlecs 6010A?

turning in a circle spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

many thanks

Paul
February 11, 2010 08:40AM
Genelec is also a solid brand for decent speakers.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
February 11, 2010 09:00AM
Yes, Genelecs are pretty much standard for quality studio monitoring, but... into a headphone socket? That somehow doesn't seem right.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 11, 2010 09:50AM
Managed to at last persuade management that the Logitech are @#$%&

My wining argument was that they are like those ladies with breast enlargments & face lifiting etc

It is just not real.

It was great watching the mouths drop as I came with that argument.

With respect to cabels I agree 1000%

That why I use the smaller brother of these guys for my iPod

[www.time.com]

They are incredible the finger smiley

But what is the alternative to the jack?

Basically I need some thing like this, yeah?

[www.krksys.com]

for the KRKs & Mackie´s

which means 1 mini Jack instead of 2!

Maybe the KRK´s with a decent cable are better than Genelecs with a jack

They even come in red which would match our company logo!!!

[www.guitarcenter.com]

Just trying to get some thing decent before being given the inflatable sex doll number....

(strypes I am in Bejing & Shaghai from 12-26th where are you, again?)
February 11, 2010 10:24AM
I'm like 500 miles south, so I'll give this one a miss. But the macdonalds next to Tianannmen is one helluva sight.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 11, 2010 10:35AM
Connection options:

even if you get a super cheapo that will simply make 1 - 3.5mm(1/8inch) turn into 2 - 1/8 inch jacks, you can spend another 14 dollars to get 2 1/8 to 1/4 adapters to connect to a speaker that takes 1/4 phono jacks. This option will not be true left channel and right channel stereo. It is just 2 1/4 or 1/8 jacks that carry both left and right.

The best option would be this coming out of your computer. But then for the Rockits you will need to go xlr. The rockits also have a balanced TRS 1/4 connection but since i have never used that connection on any speaker i cant say much about it.

Also, Don't be apprehensive about the Rockit 5 either ( save some $$$). They will kick ass on any set of plug and play logitechs, m-audio, beringer, or mackie at the same price range. The Rockit 5's will not disappoint you in any way. Plenty of bass in that 5inch woofer and the construction is i might compare to a vault. They are much heavier than you could anticipate based on its size.

We use rockit 5s in 2 mix rooms and the Rockit 6 and 8's in music creation. We do have the woofers too but they are not always used (50/50). The mix seems to translate very well to any other speakers.

""""
February 11, 2010 01:00PM
IMHO, the best workhorse monitors to date: Roland MA-12C:

[cgi.ebay.com]

Been using them on my personal gear for 10 years (still am)...still crisp & clear. Adapters can be had at Markertek or Radio Shack.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 11, 2010 05:58PM
these are rock solid for the price (and you get a pair, not paying per speaker)

M-audio AV40

[www.jr.com]

if you go this way - stick with the AV40's (lower end models such as AV20 have less body to the sound) the 40's for me, were perfect balance of quality vs. price.
February 12, 2010 01:48AM
And here I am using 40 year old Cambridge R-50s.

H.
February 12, 2010 03:36AM
as a side note.

for video there are a lot of speakers to use. Sound is less about the speaker than it is about what the operator knows about the speaker. No matter which one you choose its gonna take a while before you know the speakers habits.

there are people mixing on sub 100. dollar cheapos from 1995, that do a better mix than someone mixing with 3200 dollar premier brands. Its all about how the operator listens and interrupts what they hear.

Once you get use to a decent speaker its hard to switch from that brand. And when you do switch, you have to learn the new habits of your new speaker. Thats a pain in the ass, but necessary.

""""
February 12, 2010 06:12AM
interprets
February 12, 2010 10:48AM
yeah ..... what andy said. - "and interprets what they hear"

""""
February 13, 2010 04:45AM
thanks all

yeah of course...

"Its all about how the operator listens and interrupts what they hear."

I just wanted to give my virgin stundents a decent chance.

I will pass on the following suggestions to management

Roland MA-12C

[cgi.ebay.com]

M-Audio AV40 Studiophile Powered Reference Speaker

[www.jr.com]

and finally

KRK RoKit 6 G2 68W 6

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

Ironicaly it will be probably be a political decision, how much they spend but at least this way they have options and I am not trying to tie there hands

greetings

Paul
February 13, 2010 01:12PM
Unfortunately, if it's a school, chances are the least expensive option is usually what they go for...which is absolutely pathetic. That's why I personally chose a not-so-famous film school to attend (and paid a little more for) because it had all the latest gear at that time (Avid / Quantel / Adobe / SoftImage / Alias Wavefront / SGI / etc)...and that landed me a gig immediately (1998) and haven't been unemployed since.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics