backwards compatibility from FCP 7 to 6

Posted by Shinx 
backwards compatibility from FCP 7 to 6
February 16, 2010 09:39PM
Hello,

I had read that FCP 7 is backwards compatible with FCP 6 using XML to export the project from FCP 7....but when I try to open the project in FCP 6.0.6 - it opens a different project that I've been working on for months....and when I try to import an XML file - I get the error message: no translation templates matching the selected XML file were found. Unable to import this file.

Can anyone weigh in on these compatibility issues? I have a huge project on FCP 6 that I simply cannot compromise in ANY way with this new FCP 7 project!!!

Please help.
Thanks
Sherril
Re: backwards compatibility from FCP 7 to 6
February 17, 2010 05:52AM
Export with an older version of XML.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 17, 2010 11:56AM
You need to use XML version 4. I do this a few times a week.

Then FILE>IMPORT>XML.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 17, 2010 12:05PM
Shane, I believe I am using XML 4 as I am on FCP 6.....however, the person feeding me the new project is on FCP 7 ....does he need to use XML 4 as well....and wouldn't his system default to XML 5 (how does he access 4)??

Also he has sent me the project in individual time lines, as that was how he figured out he could export with XML ....is there a way of doing the entire project?

Last but not least....when I tried to open his project on my system, it opened the project I'd been working on for months....why would it default to that project??

Sorry - never used XML before!
Thanks
Shinx
February 17, 2010 12:07PM
1. When you export an XML of a timeline, you get a little popup that lets you choose the file format you want. Have your guy use XML version 4.

2. An XML is exactly the same as an EDL, only more so. It's a representation of a timeline. You'll get one XML per timeline in your project.

February 17, 2010 12:13PM
>It's a representation of a timeline.

Or it could be a full project, or project bins. There are lots of limitations with EDLs (eg. video/audio track limitations, doesn't store filters, etc).

www.strypesinpost.com
February 17, 2010 12:15PM
Whoops, really? I totally stand corrected. I was under the apparently mistaken impression that an XML was a timeline and nothing else. That's the only way I've ever used it.

Thanks for correcting me there, Strypes.

February 17, 2010 12:20PM
FCP 6 is limited to XML v4. So he can open that if needed, but they don't need to. You can send the project file and FCP 7 will just update it. HE will have to export an XML V4, and there is a drop down menu that allows you to choose that, in the XML export window.

As Strypes says, you can do an XML of the ENTIRE project. Just SELECT ALL in the Browser, then export the XML. I do this twice a week.

Not sure why it defaulted to an older version. If it is HIS project, FCP 7, and you are on FCP 6, it shouldn't open at all. That was opening a project FILE? Well, from him you need a full XML of the project.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 17, 2010 12:46PM
No it wasn't defaulting to an earlier version of HIS NEW FCP 7 project....it defaulted to a different project completely that I have been working on for some time. The scary part is that the project I've been on for some time is a large project, very close to completion that I cannot risk compromising in ANY way.

When I double clicked on the NEW FCP 7 project....the system opened MY OLD project with everything offline...as I had switched out the media drives. I became concerned about working on 2 projects at once and having conflicts.....though I used to do that on AVID all the time!!! Of course this was a separate issue from the FCP 7 project not actually opening at all!

Any thoughts??
February 17, 2010 01:44PM
>When I double clicked on the NEW FCP 7 project....the system opened MY OLD project with everything offline

That shouldn't happen. SO don't try to open the new project...use XMLs.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 17, 2010 04:57PM
Thanks so much to all here!!! - XML V4 was the charm.

One more quick question - I don't usually work on more than one project at a time in FCP.
I now have my OLD project which is a DVC PRO HD 720p24 project and this new one which is
DV/DVCPRO - NTSC....can I have 2 sets of EZ set up for each project?

Is there anything else I should be doing so that I don't have conflict??

Thanks
S
February 18, 2010 02:34AM
>When I double clicked on the NEW FCP 7 project....the system opened MY OLD project with everything offline

That's probably because FCP is opening the previous project on launch, and as you mentioned, the media drives are disconnected, so they're offline.

>can I have 2 sets of EZ set up for each project?

Sadly, no. Remembering Easy Setup is a machine specific function, not project specific. But you could easily toggle easy set-ups.

>Just SELECT ALL in the Browser, then export the XML.

Or just select the browser (command 4), deselect all (shift apple A), then export XML.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics