Expanding Hard Drive Space - Moving Media

Posted by shelleyrae 
Expanding Hard Drive Space - Moving Media
February 19, 2010 03:08PM
Hi Everyone,

I currently have internal hard drives occupying all four of my bays. Bay1 and 2 are boot drives and 3 and 4 are media drives. I want to replace one of the media drives with a new bigger (1.5 TB) drive but have media I'm still working with on 3 and 4. I'm trying to figure out the best method for increasing my internal drive space without breaking my media links. Here's what I'm thinking:

Remove #3 drive to make room for the new drive. Put new drive in Bay 3 and Carbon Copy Clone all the media from Drive 4 to the new drive and name the new drive the same name as Drive 4, then take the original #4 drive out and replace it with drive #3.

I know you're gonna say don't do this in the middle of a project but I can't avoid it. I need more space now. If I do the process above will I be able to maintain my media links or will I have to relink everything even if I keep the same names? They will be in different slots, but I suppose after cloning the media to the new drive I could put them back in the original slots.

Am I going about this the right way? Is there a better way?

Thanks for your feedback.
Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Expanding Hard Drive Space - Moving Media
February 19, 2010 03:13PM

I know you're gonna say don't do this in the middle of a project but I can't avoid it.

Of course you can avoid it. If you need additional space, buy a Firewire 800 drive. As you know, Final Cut doesn't care if the media for a single project is all in one folder or scattered among many. It's not a good practice to spread your media out, obviously, but it's a far better option than doing filesystem surgery in mid-show and courting disaster. It'll get you by long enough to finish your current show and find a permanent (RAID!) solution.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics