HD with FCP 6.0

Posted by Delphinus 
HD with FCP 6.0
February 23, 2010 07:23PM
I am editing in FCP 6.0 on a non-Intel G5 with standard video. Soon I would like to start editing with HD material. What HD formats are compatable with my non-Intel G5?

G5
1.8 GHz single processor
4 GB memory
(2) 500 GB internal HD
FCP 6.0
OS X Leopard
Re: HD with FCP 6.0
February 23, 2010 07:28PM
Nearly all of them. You can refer to the "Working with high definition and broadcast formats" manual, accessible under the Help menu.

You won't get real-time performance with either uncompressed or ProRes on your system. DVCPRO HD will probably be okay, the GOP formats maybe.

Re: HD with FCP 6.0
February 23, 2010 07:32PM
Thank yo. Where is the HELP munu located?
Re: HD with FCP 6.0
February 23, 2010 07:34PM
That would be in the menu bar, at the top of the screen, where it says "Help."

&#63743; Final Cut Pro File Edit View Mark Modify Sequence Effects Tools Window Help <-- there it is

Re: HD with FCP 6.0
February 23, 2010 07:38PM
I don't see a HELP anywhere on the LAFCPUG site. It is not in OPTIONS or GO TO. Can you be more specific? Thanks.
Re: HD with FCP 6.0
February 23, 2010 07:40PM
The Help menu. At the top of your computer screen. When you are running Final Cut Pro, there is a menu all the way across the top of your computer screen. To find it, push the mouse pointer upward until it stops moving. There, you'll find the Help menu. Under that menu, you will find "HD and Broadcast Formats." That will open up the manual for you, so you can read about the various supported HD formats you can work with.

Re: HD with FCP 6.0
February 24, 2010 07:29AM
Re: HD with FCP 6.0
February 24, 2010 10:27AM
I don't have a problem running either XDCAM or ProRes 1080p
on our PPC G5 2.5Ghz with 2x 1.2TB Raid drives.

The render times are poor compared to an an OctoMac
for speed, but as the only mac in the office, it works in HD.



Jeff Harrell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nearly all of them. You can refer to the "Working
> with high definition and broadcast formats"
> manual, accessible under the Help menu.
>
> You won't get real-time performance with either
> uncompressed or ProRes on your system. DVCPRO HD
> will probably be okay, the GOP formats maybe.
Re: HD with FCP 6.0
February 24, 2010 11:26AM
I have never found sarcasm particularly useful. When you said the HELP menu, you did not refer to the HELP menu in the FCP program, so I assumed you meant the LAFCPUG site. I think I know how to operate the arrow on my mouse!
Re: HD with FCP 6.0
February 24, 2010 12:09PM
Delphinus, Jeff Harrell was very clear about where to go, in three consecutive posts. There was no sarcasm. Please consider that the people in here are trying to help you out of their own time for no compensation.


www.derekmok.com
Re: HD with FCP 6.0
February 24, 2010 01:52PM
Admittedly, the menu is pretty good guide to working with various HD formats in FCP.

>What HD formats are compatable with my non-Intel G5?

Compatibility isn't that much of an issue, with the exception of AVCHD and Avc-Intra which requires an Intel mac if you plan to transcode that with L&T. As mark@avolution mentioned, ProRes renders awfully slowly on a G5, so you may re-think working with GOP formats (you can, but you would try to avoid ProRes workflows). Suitability depends on your turnaround time.

DvcproHD works pretty well, though.



www.strypesinpost.com
Re: HD with FCP 6.0
February 25, 2010 09:51AM
What I usually do is edit in XDCAM native, OR bring the XDCAM into a proRes timeline.
But if I stay native, on export, I change the codec to proRes on QT export.
This allows me to do further adjustments on a PC, with the adobe CS4 suite;
such as converting to an flv for the net.
We do have squeeze on the mac, but on a G5 it is quicker to export to the PC,
and do the conversions on an 8 core i7 PC.



strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Admittedly, the menu is pretty good guide to
> working with various HD formats in FCP.
>
> >What HD formats are compatable with my non-Intel
> G5?
>
> Compatibility isn't that much of an issue, with
> the exception of AVCHD and Avc-Intra which
> requires an Intel mac if you plan to transcode
> that with L&T. As mark@avolution mentioned, ProRes
> renders awfully slowly on a G5, so you may
> re-think working with GOP formats (you can, but
> you would try to avoid ProRes workflows).
> Suitability depends on your turnaround time.
>
> DvcproHD works pretty well, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

 


Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet


Recycle computers and electronics