Render 24PN normal

Posted by dwcwiak 
Render 24PN normal
February 25, 2010 01:55PM
Is it normal to have to render 24pn footage in a 24p timeline?
Re: Render 24PN normal
February 25, 2010 02:06PM
I believe "24PN" is just Panasonic's marketing term for 24p. What Panasonic calls "24P" is actually 24p recorded in a 60p data stream with 3:2 (frame-based, not field-based) pulldown. There's "24P" which is 24p with pulldown, "24PN" which is 24p, and "24PA" which is 24p with 2:3:3:2 pulldown.

So assuming I was right about all of that, yes. All of those formats are just different ways of writing 24p to tape or P2.

February 25, 2010 02:38PM
From my hazy memory:

24PN should 23.98.
24P should be 29.97 with 23.98 in a 2:3 pulldown
24PA should be 29.97 with 23.98 in a 2:3:3:2 pulldown.

24PN is only achievable when shooting onto cards.

24PN should fit inside a 23.98 sequence without having to render.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
February 25, 2010 02:55PM
Strange, it's 24PN footage in a 23.98 timeline but I'm still having to render.

FCP 5.1.4
February 25, 2010 02:58PM
Oh, for crying out loud. I apologize. As it seems like I do more and more often these days, I misread your question.

There are some obvious reasons why you'd need to render: If you've applied an effect, for instance. Assuming you haven't, 'cause I imagine you would have noticed that, then your source format must not exactly match your timeline format. This is extremely easy to screw up in Final Cut 5, because it doesn't have the "automatically make my timeline match my source" feature that debuted in version 6.

Double-check all your settings, particularly the audio ones.

February 25, 2010 03:02PM
try using an easy setup for your 720p24p DVCProHD.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
February 25, 2010 04:14PM
24PN is actually true 24 in that it is NOT embedded in a 60i stream but is just
straight 24 (at 23.98}

The advantage is the 20% space savings/record time available on the P2 cards when you
shoot this way.
February 25, 2010 06:03PM
When back and checked every thing and still not luck. Even tried trashing the preferences, but still have to render. I know I've done this with out rendering.
February 25, 2010 06:05PM
If you can, upload a 5 sec clip at native res. Maybe I can check it out.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
February 25, 2010 06:20PM
Sending you an email via yousend it. Let me know if that you got it.

Thank you!
February 25, 2010 06:38PM
your QT movie says it's DV50 at 29.97! Did you check the item properties in FCP or in QT player first?

That's why you have to render.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
February 25, 2010 06:53PM
I see what's going on. Even though I've change the settings the timeline is stuck in DV50. Can't change it no matter what I do.
February 25, 2010 06:56PM
Well, you did tell him to use a 720p DVCPro HD Easy Setup, Chi-Ho. moody smiley He never said it was HD. But, that's one piece of information he should have given us. I would have assumed it was HD as well.

Is it even possible to shoot DV50 at native 23.98fps without some kind of pulldown added?

www.derekmok.com
February 25, 2010 07:00PM
> Even though I've change the settings the timeline is stuck in DV50. Can't change it no matter
> what I do.

Nope, not true. I suspect you don't know the difference between your Sequence Presets vs. your Sequence Settings?

To change your timeline, you need to change your Sequence Settings. Select the Sequence/timeline in the Browser, or open it into the Timeline window. Press APPLE-0. There are still some settings you can't change after a clip has been placed inside -- eg. frame rate.

What you've been changing is probably Sequence Presets under Audio/Video Settings. That will only affect Sequences created in the future; pre-existing Sequences will retain whatever settings they're using right now.

The problem is, you also shouldn't be exporting from the timeilne. We need to see the settings of your actual clips, not after they've been tampered with by a timeline. Select one of your clips and press APPLE-9 to see its settings. Or open it in QuickTime Player and press APPLE-I for a summary, APPLE-J for more detailed analyses of the tracks.

www.derekmok.com
February 25, 2010 07:06PM
It was HD. Nope, I did change the Sequence Settings. However, I did trash the preferences again and that worked.

Thanks for the help.
February 25, 2010 07:09PM
Woah woah woah. Don't "thanks for the help" us like we did anything. If your timeline was set to the wrong compressor, dumping your preferences should not have fixed anything.

You've got some people on the hook here (including some who can actually read, unlike me) who are more than willing to help find out what the actual problem is. Take us up on it, lest you find yourself in this situation again.

February 25, 2010 07:15PM
I'm not computer wiz, but it's working. I can open and close FCP, projects with different settings and everything works. Don't know how to make it happen again so you can fix it. I'll see what I can do to recreate the problem. Really do want to make sure it's fixed.
February 25, 2010 08:00PM
Ha, yea. I did presume it was HD. I would guess the P2 cameras can shoot SD at 24PN as well. It's tapeless, why not?!?

Honestly, I kinda lost the thread of what happened. I don't know how he fixed it but hey, it's fixed. He's happy and that's cool with me.

I would cut the clips from your DV sequence and paste them into an empty DVCProHD 24p sequence just to be safe.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics