Electrical Question - hummmmmm

Posted by PhillyFilmmaker 
Electrical Question - hummmmmm
March 06, 2010 03:03PM
This is what I have plugged into the various outlets in my workroom via powerstrips:

- 2 KRK V4 monitors
- 3 LaCie drives
- 1 pencil sharpener
- 1 MacBook Pro
- 1 Samsung 2333hd television
- 1 cablebox

Now, with the Samsung television plugged in I get this loud humming noise coming from the KRKs.
As soon as I unplug the Samsung, it goes away.

What do I need to do to get rid of this humm?
Do I need some sort of line conditioner?

Thanks!!
Re: Electrical Question - hummmmmm
March 06, 2010 07:32PM
Some of those cheap TVs and DVD players aren't shielded correctly. I'm not sure how you would go about fixing it, but I used to have a DVD player at one facility that gave me electric tingles every time I had to adjust the cabling and it caused a bit of hum as well. The engineer said it was the shielding.

March 06, 2010 07:44PM
As a temporary stop gap measure, you could unhook the earthing from the plug that goes to the speakers. But you would avoid touching anything with metallic parts on that speaker while it is on.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 07, 2010 03:42AM
I know you said it is likely your Samsung, but this link may have some helpful info for your workflow

[support.apple.com]
March 07, 2010 12:30PM
Does the system still hum if you plug the Samsung in and don't connect any other cables? Can you plug the TV in backwards? Is everything plugged into the same power strip or wall socket?

It's probably not just the TV. It's the interaction between the TV and the other equipment. They make isolation transformers for both video and audio, but by the time you get done toting up the costs, you will have bought a monitor that doesn't do that.

You can get a power isolation transformer, too. Same problem, but a little less so.

[www.surplussales.com]

They have the problem of weighing more than the entire rest of your setup.

Oh, one more. I have a monitor/TV that can not be used as a monitor while the roof-top antenna is connected. Hmmmmmmm!

Koz
March 07, 2010 02:01PM
Run your cables so that they cross at 90 degrees to each other-
when you run cables together in a straight bundle they can pick up a Hum
from each other --Jay--
March 08, 2010 12:10AM
Is the TV plugged into the cable system to watch tv as well? As soon as i removed my TV from cable all hum went away. Koz helped me with this years ago. The cable system can cause some serious ground loops, I suppose an antenna as well.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
March 08, 2010 11:24AM
I agree with Dean's advice completely. The cable TV connection is one of the biggest culprits when it comes to hum problems given the differences in ground "potential". Try removing the cable TV connection somewhere upstream from the cablebox or router or TV....whichever way you are attached to the cable system.

FCP 7.0.3, PPro CS5.5, MPro Octo 2.8, 16 gigs RAM, Matrox MXO2, Sony EX1
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics