HDV 720p codec for animation

Posted by John Anderson 
HDV 720p codec for animation
March 14, 2010 09:49AM
Hi,

I'm making an animated film that combines Cinema 4D and traditional hand-drawings. In the past, I used the codecs Animation, Photojpeg, or PNG in Quicktime. Files sizes were always large.

I'm working in a 1280/720 format for the first time and tried the HDV 720p 30 as an experiment. Everything looks great and the file sizes are small compared to the others. Also, I'm compositing in After Effects and the alpha channel looks clean. I do not know anyone who uses this compression so I thought I would ask if there are any drawbacks to this codec that might bite me late down the line.
Thanks
Re: HDV 720p codec for animation
March 14, 2010 10:16AM
>so I thought I would ask if there are any drawbacks to this codec that might bite me late down
>the line

Yes. Huge drawbacks. HDV is an extremely lossy format, and footage won't look as good after subsequent renders.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 14, 2010 10:25AM
Plus it's an incredibly computationally intensive codec, so you'll spend way more time rendering than you have any right to.

March 14, 2010 03:33PM
Thanks for the information.
I did not know that.
I'll stick with the codecs I have had success with in the past.
March 14, 2010 03:42PM
You can try working with ProRes 4444 if you have FCP 7 installed in the machine. That flavour of ProRes supports an alpha channel, and although it isn't a lossless codec like png or animation, the footage is able to hold up quite well after subsequent renders.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 14, 2010 04:09PM
Thanks again.
Shortly after my last post a friend turned me on to this site:
[codecs.onerivermedia.com]

It may not be up to date but it has a lot of great info.

I always used Animation, PhotoJPEG or PNG but the Three/d environment(Cinema 4D) is making me look around at other solutions.
I am working on FCP 5.6 / dual Mac powerPc.

Maybe the ProRess444 will inspire me to upgrade.
March 15, 2010 11:30PM
Gerard writes-
[You can try working with ProRes 4444 if you have FCP 7 installed in the machine. That flavour of ProRes supports an alpha channel, and although it isn't a lossless codec like png or animation, the footage is able to hold up quite well after subsequent renders.]

It looks great but I tried using it in After Effects CS3 and CS4 and believe it or not, sump'tin didn't work and the alpha didn't respond (It was not premultiplied). We reverted to Animation and that's worked fine. Haven't figgurd it out. That may be your best route. Tried and true.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Cycle your timeline track size with Shift-T !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 15, 2010 11:36PM

It was not premultiplied

Not to get too far off the topic, but what'd the rest of your pipeline look like? I know After Effects can, in theory, output either a premult or a straight alpha, but even if you get locked into one or the other via a bug (Hi, Adobe! You guys really suck!) you should be able to work with it, yeah?

March 16, 2010 03:35AM
Which codec is good? Test, test, test.

[thomasberglund.no]

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics