OT: Latest broadcast monitor opinions?

Posted by Jeff Harrell 
OT: Latest broadcast monitor opinions?
March 18, 2010 04:45PM
I've got a buddy who's looking at replacing the broadcast monitors in his online suites. Right now he's using Cinetals, but he's got a VFX artist who doesn't like them, so he's shopping around.

He's looking at the Barco RHDM-2301P (or possibly B, which costs 25 percent less), and also the eCinema DPX-2310, but frankly I think those are both overkill in his situation. They do commercial post for HD broadcast, only very rarely for theatrical distribution.

I've turned him on to the FSI-2470 (I think that's the model number), which I know comes recommended. What other up-to-the-minute thinking do you guys have on this subject? My friend's comfortable with a price point that's under $20,000 per unit, but obviously he should get the best value for his money. Thoughts?

Re: OT: Latest broadcast monitor opinions?
March 18, 2010 06:55PM
FSI is seconded here. And I recently went to an HD Monitor Shootout at Alpha Dogs, and liked what I saw. The Sony BVM-L231 and PVM-L2300 are worth looking at. The others were a JVC that wasn't the best, and a CineTAL, so I'll avoid that one.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 18, 2010 06:59PM
To read more from Shane Ross:

[www.postmagazine.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
March 19, 2010 04:57AM
The ones everyone is raving about are the Panasonic ProPlasma Premiere Displays.

They are being used by many high-end post houses in the UK and I know of a couple in LA working on them in grading suites for both broadcast AND film as the Premiere displays are 18-bit displays.

[catalog2.panasonic.com]

EXTREMELY good picture and very rich but detailed blacks - unlike the other LCD/Plasma alternatives.

Although I too have seen the FSI LM-1760W and its very good for an LCD plus has SD/HD-SDI board built-in and also Waveform / Vector Scope as standard.

[www.shopfsi.com]

If your friend has a $20,000 budget - I'd buy the 17" FSI LM-1760W and the 65" Panasonic TH-65VX100U + HD-SDI Board

Both will set them back LESS than $20,000 (in fact will have change of $10,000) and give them two monitors that currently represent the best of both LCD and Plasma worlds.

Oh, and a set of the best SDI cables money can buy.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 19, 2010 09:52AM
Thanks, guys. Ben, they're already using big-ass Bravias as their client monitors, and they're happy with them. I've heard good things about the Panasonic plasmas, though. Nice to hear that corroborated.

I've passed all this on to my friend, and he said he'd check the FSI 2740 out. He's really got a crush on the Barcos, though. I haven't seen them in person, so I can't form an opinion. He says he can get them for $18,000 each if he agrees to buy enough for all his online suites, and it's not like online monitoring is a good place to economize.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics