OT: March 24 lafcpug meeting maybe the last one

Posted by Michael Horton 
Re: OT: March 24 lafcpug meeting maybe the last one
March 21, 2010 06:05PM
L.A. Film School at Cahuenga and Sunset? Parking is abysmal in that area.

www.derekmok.com
March 21, 2010 06:43PM
I'll look into it but last I heard it was not available for rental

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 21, 2010 07:17PM
During the time LAFCPUG met at the LA Film School, I attended several times and had no problem finding parking in the school's structure unless you were late. You had to pay for parking as I recall but it was not prohibitively expensive for a once a month event. Seems like it was about $5.00.

Parking in the adjacent Border's bookstore building is very expensive without a validation from a merchant. But a $1.80 cup of coffee or a newpaper in Borders would probably get you validated.

Same with the Arclight parking. It would cost you $20 to park at the Arclight for 3 hours in the evening without validation.
March 22, 2010 11:21AM
It might also be worth contacting some of the larger studio screening rooms. Last year, I heard that several were having problems keeping them busy due to the recession, lowered production, and reduced convention business.

For the studio, the opportunity to get a guaranteed one-night-per-month booking, to be filled by industry professionals who would be likely to promote the facilities to the industry might be too good for them to pass up in these economic times.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
March 22, 2010 01:40PM
It's always the arts that go first...total shame.

I wish I knew where to suggest, or WHAT to suggest. Going to the meeting where they showed off FCP 4.5 and the DVCPRO HD deck and capturing via firewire...that lead to my switching to FCP. All the real life demo stuff. That was at some theatre on Hollywood. Where was that?

Yeah, seeing if you can have it at some film school auditorium...can't NORM pull strings?

NOrm!

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 22, 2010 04:53PM
Here in Cetral Florida, I always go to local meetings in hotel ballrooms / conference rooms, local Production Houses like Adrenaline Films, or my Alma Mater Full Sail University (which is the best place - hi tech display gear w/ huge screens & surround sound). You gotta be able to find something like that in L.A., no? LOS ANGELES?!?! What a shame...confused smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 22, 2010 06:18PM
Just got back from City Hall. There was no vote to close down the Arts Facilities today. What there was, was an idea to move money from another fund into this fund. This idea would require the City Attorney to see if its legal or not, and if it is then the entire city council must vote on an amendment, and if it passes we have a reprieve. If it does not then we are back to square one and these facilities will close April 1. So Wednesday the Council takes up the measure and then we will know.

After that we huddle and begin the long process of finding some private/public partnership that re-open these facilities and keep them thriving and sustainable.

So... its in the hands of the City Attorney. No city councilman wishes to close these facilities. It's kind of like banning apple pie.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 22, 2010 06:24PM
Thanks for the update Michael. I caught a twitter from you this AM and have been anxious to hear how it came out.
March 23, 2010 07:36AM
what about a Marriott? Events there are always done well. There prices are bad either. It's a good temporary solution till you find your official home I think.
May 08, 2010 01:09PM
Mike, what was the status of this in the end? Last I heard we had until June but there was talk of a 24-month extension period. Is June the last meeting, as far as you know, or have things changed?

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
May 08, 2010 04:09PM
As of this moment we are good through 2010. After that it depends on the City of LA and if its any closer to pulling out of the mess we are all in.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 08, 2010 04:10PM
That's good to hear. Let's hope it works out in the end.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics