OT: 60i vs 30psf, or "Why does my footage look like butt?"

Posted by Jeff Harrell 
OT: 60i vs 30psf, or "Why does my footage look like butt?"
March 22, 2010 06:30PM
Once again, something's come up a few times lately on the forum, buried down in other threads, and I thought I'd drop a one-time informational post in here for everybody.

Often the question arises, "Why does my 30p footage look all strobey and jittery? I thought progressive was supposed to be better?"

The answer is that what everybody calls "30p" really ought more properly be called "30psf." Actually, it really ought to be called "29.97psf," but that's just too dang much typin'.

The "psf" in "30psf" stands for "progressive segmented frame." It's easiest to define this piece of jargon if we work backwards, and define what it's not.

Progressive-scan video, also sometimes called "frame-based" video, is video in which every frame is a single raster of pixels, so-and-so many pixels high by so-and-so many pixels wide. Other than the pixels themselves, there's no substructure to a progressive-scan frame. It's a complete unit, indivisible unless you want to talk about individual pixels. Each frame is notionally a single exposure of the entire sensor. (In reality, there's a slight delay between when the top row of pixels is scanned and when the bottom row is scanned; this is the cause of the much-maligned "rolling shutter" problem, also known as "jellocam."winking smiley

The most notable examples of progressive-scan recording are 24p, as in 1080p24 for example, or 60p, as in 720p60. In point of fact, we're about to learn that these are the only significant examples of progressive-scan recording in the world. There are actually no other common progressive-scan formats. (Emphasis on the "common," please, for the pedants out there. There are others, but we're keeping things simple here.)

Interlaced video, on the other hand, has no frames. Instead, it's a sequence of fields. Each field is one exposure of half of the rows of pixels on the sensor. In interlaced video, we call a row of pixels a "scan line" for historical reasons. Digital video doesn't really distinguish between rows of pixels and columns of pixels, much, but we in TV do.

As everybody knows, NTSC runs at a base rate that we call 60 Hz, accepting that that's shorthand for an odd number that rounds off to about 59.94. In PAListan, the base rate is 50 Hz ? and they really mean 50. PAL people don't truck with oddball fractions.

For purposes of discussion here, I'm using the 59.94 base rate. If you live in a PAL country or just hate me, personally, feel free to mentally substitute "50" wherever you see "59.94."

Interlaced video is recorded like this:

At 1/59.94th of a second into the recording, we record the first field. In this example, I chose the odd field, meaning scan lines 1, 3, 5 and so on. This is the dominant field for HD video. SD video records the lower field first, but it really doesn't matter for purposes of illustration.

One 59.94th of a second later, the camera records the second field, which is the even field. That is, scan lines 2, 4, 6 et cetera.

Then at 3/59.94ths of a second, the camera records the third field, which means the odd scan lines again. And so on.

As you can see, the object in front of the camera (in this case, a pretty blue dot) is in a different position when each field is recorded. That's because the object is moving, and each field is recorded at a different instant of time, separated by 1/59.94th of a second.

When you play back interlaced footage ? and this is important ? the fields are drawn to the screen with the same timing with which they were recorded. In other words, the first field is drawn, then 1/59.94th of a second later the second field is drawn, then 1/59.94th later the third field, and so on in that fashion. It looks like this:

If this looks like a very slight motion blur, that's 'cause it kind of is. That's how your eye interprets it when you watch interlaced footage. That's what makes interlacing work, when played back properly. On a CRT television or a good LCD, each scan line will start to fade as soon as it's been drawn. Because the overall brightness of the picture is refreshed 60 times a second, there's no perceptible flicker. And because each field fades away before those scan lines are drawn over, interlaced video creates the illusion of very high-resolution smooth motion. It's kind of neat, to be honest.

But we're not here to talk about interlaced video. We're here to talk about 30psf ? though what I'm about to describe applies as well to 25psf, in PAL land. The relationship between 50i and 25psf is the same as the relationship between 60i and 30psf.

So I said progressive-scan video records the entire sensor at once (modulo read time), and also that frames of video in the progressive-scan domain are always treated as whole frames. Then I said that interlaced video records every other line of the sensor to create a sequence of fields which are played back with the same timing with which they were recorded.

Progressive-segmented-frame takes these two ideas and smooshes 'em up together.

Originally, PsF (as it's known) recording was invented to deal with film-transferred-to-video. It was discovered ? I think by some guys at Sony, though I'm not positive about that ? that if you take a PAL VTR and retime it slightly from 50 Hz to 48 Hz, you can record film on it as if the film were interlaced video. That is, each frame of film becomes a pair of fields, and those fields are written to tape and played back as if they were ordinary video, albeit running at a slower base rate.

This breakthrough discovery was absolutely useless for actually watching this material. Play back a 24psf tape on a monitor that'll sync to 48 Hz and you'll see something truly appalling. But nobody used 24psf that way. Instead, 24psf was used to transport frames of film from the lab to the editing machine. If you hooked a 48 Hz PsF VTR up to your Avid, you could capture the fields from the videotape, then reassemble them in the computer into frames which would play back at 24 frames per second. This was great for editing film, 'cause you no longer had to deal with 3:2 pulldown.

Sometime later, somebody got the bright idea of applying the same principle to existing 50 and 60 Hz equipment. What if, they thought, we record both fields at the same time, like we would if we were doing a progressive-scan recording, but wrote them out to tape as if we were recording interlaced video?

And thus, 25psf and 30psf were born. But I guess for marketing reasons, or just due to natural suffix-erosion, the "sf" part got dropped, and those formats came to be known as 25p and 30p.

But these are not progressive-scan formats. This is really important to understand. They are progressive segmented frame formats, which makes them a thing apart and unique to themselves.

You record 30psf video just exactly like you're imagining: Read out the whole sensor, top to bottom, at once. You end up with two fields, both recorded at the same time, like this:

Most cameras ? I think all of them, but I can't swear to it ? do some filtering to minimize scan-line jitter when recording 25psf or 30psf. In other words, a slight vertical blur is performed to reduce the chance that any fine detail appears on just one of the two fields of any given "frame." But again, I can't swear that all cameras do this. Just all the ones I'm familiar with.

Note that absolutely nothing is recorded at 2/59.94ths and 4/59.94ths. If we were shooting interlaced, we'd get one field every 1/59.94th of a second, but since we're shooting psf, we get two fields every other 59.94th of a second. The subject in motion moves further, then, between each successive pair of fields. A nerd (hey, Strypes) would say a this point that the temporal resolution has been halved. The spatial resolution has also been somewhat reduced, because of that jitter filtering I mentioned.

But the biggest idiosyncrasy of 25psf or 30psf comes when we look at how it's played back on your television. Remember, your television thinks (for lack of a better word) you're looking at ordinary 50i or 60i material. So it plays it back as it that's just what it were:

You see that really funny thing going on at 3/59.94ths? We're getting half of the first frame, and half of the second frame. It's not until we get to 4/59.94ths that we see the whole second frame. If I drew the illustration wider, we'd see that every other frame is like this. In nerd-speak, these special intermediate frames that are built up of a field from one recorded frame and a field from another recorded frame are called "jitter frames." (If you're familiar with 3:2 pulldown, the BC and CD frames are your jitter frames.)

When you play back 25psf or 30psf material on a 50i or 60i monitor, half your frames are jitter frames.

This is why your footage looks "stroboscopic" or "jittery." Because it is.

Now, not all monitors (unfortunately) treat 50i and 60i material the same way. Some LCD televisions attempt to deinterlace interlaced material, so they can display whole frames. Some do a very poor job at this, and some are kind of okay. The newest televisions have this weirdo motion estimation feature that interpolates a lot more frames than are actually in your source material. It seems, from what I've heard, that nobody likes these televisions one damn bit, and since I don't own one, I can't guess how 25psf or 30psf material would fare on one.

On a computer, of course, 25psf or 30psf material is played back as if it were 25p or 30p. A computer doesn't know from interlacing; it just throws up pairs of fields at once. So in the Avid or in Final Cut, or when watching a Quicktime movie, 25psf or 30psf material looks just fine. Which is probably why people so often are shocked and dismayed to see their 25psf or 30psf stuff on television. Because TV works differently.

How do you avoid this stuttery, jittery look? Well, there's really only one way: open up your shutter. If you have a very long shutter (say, 1/30th, which would equate to 360° if it were possible to have a 360° leaf shutter), then the motion blur in your footage will reduce the perceptible jitter during playback. Of course, then you have two problems: lessened but still extant jitter, and also smeary, streaky looking footage. But if you have no choice, then it's at least something to do some test shots with.

Everybody is entitled to his or her own opinion of 25psf/30psf recording. I've got mine, and I make no secret of it. But whatever your opinion, it's important to understand the basics of what these formats are, and how they work under the hood, so you can make an informed choice about whether to use them or not.

Re: OT: 60i vs 30psf, or "Why does my footage look like butt?"
March 22, 2010 06:41PM
Jeff, this is an ARTICLE, not a post. Why not talk to Ken Stone about getting these published on his site. Then I'll start linking to you!

And you might make some $$ too! People pay for stuff like this dude...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 22, 2010 06:46PM
Meh. It's all the same, as far as Google is concerned. I just like sharing what little bits and pieces of trivia I've been able to pick up along the way.

March 22, 2010 06:59PM
Jeff,
Thanks for this!!!
I was just having a conversation about this, and well I did not do it justice.
Thanks again!
Andrew
March 22, 2010 07:28PM
Nice, Jeff. I always saw PsF as something you get whenever you float a progressive frame across a video system (eg. some SDI signals) for playback on analog equipment, and once that frame gets divided and stored as fields, you get PsF. There are some differences due to the way it is stored, eg. when you send a PsF signal into a monitor that can only accept a progressive signal (eg. the HP Dreamcolor), it won't work like it should.

Another difference would be the way the signal is compressed (eg. DCT based compression which is used by almost every digital video format), compression on progressive frames is easier and more efficient as the frame is split into blocks of 16 and 8. Interlaced DCT based compression is less efficient, as it requires the frame to be split fields and compressed to prevent smearing across fields which contain different temporal samples (eg. the reason why P-jpg compression should never be used on an interlaced signal).

One thing that is nice about having stuff like this on a forum, is that different people can contribute, and it's different from reading an article (eg. I still can't figure out why Charles Poynton mentioned that the CRT gamma response is "desirable", if we work to correct it right after it comes off the CCDs).

www.strypesinpost.com
March 23, 2010 09:49AM
Wow...thanks Jeff!!! This explains a lot, but also leaves me with a few more questions.

So basically what you're saying is that 30p is never going to look "good" (non-jittery) on a standard TV set because the TV will treat it as it would 60i video, because of what happens at 3/59.94ths on your final illustration. Yes, you can drop down to 1/30th and fudge it a little bit, but that doesn't look the same as 60i footage (especially if you are trying to mix both in the same edit).

So if my DVDs are authored to the lowest common denominator customer, I shouldn't use 30p because it won't look "good" to them, right? But if my final output is going to a customer who I know has LCD or is going to be online, then 30p will work great, right? So the decision (assuming I have a choice) to use 30p or 60i should be determined by the final output.

I haven't done 24p yet (I have a Canon 7D, if that helps), but I would assume based on your illustrations that that would look more jittery on a standard TV...and that the jitters would be larger. I remember a post where I asked "Why would I want to shoot in a different frame rate?" And your response was 24p, all the time. But I don't like jittery video....

So basically, 30p on a standard TV looks bad and that's just the way it goes? This doesn't sound right...I know many people are using 30p and I don't know if they're getting different results, or if they're just publishing online or what....???

Thanks again for the article!!! I hope I'm not the only one who is this confused!!!

Casey Petersen
March 23, 2010 10:01AM
CRT response is desirable because if it wasn't the case, TV wouldn't work to produce a reasonable picture. Back in the day when TV came out, we didn't have digital technology, or compression or any of the magic we use today. But the CRT effectively had in an "undo tonal compression curve" due to the very nature of the electron beam / phosphor response, and the tonal curve it undoes is similarly enough to the eye response to be psychovisually useful. Now, in the digital world, 8bit video only works because we gamma encode the video from a much higher bit depth in camera, and expand back out in the monitor. If that wasn't the case, we'd have to encode a much higher bit depth to avoid banding / posterization.

Encoding in linear light works fine, but you need a higher bit depth. Just think of gamma as bit depth compression.

Graeme
March 23, 2010 01:22PM
Didn't you just get a new job Jeff? How do you find the time for these dissertations??

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 23, 2010 01:38PM
Work or not, I'm wondering what the subject is for tonight...

www.strypesinpost.com
March 23, 2010 02:07PM

Didn't you just get a new job Jeff? How do you find the time for these dissertations??

This is his new job. We'll all be getting a bill in the next few days.
March 23, 2010 03:00PM
Truly impressive explanation!

Thanks Jeff!

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
March 23, 2010 03:56PM
Jeff. This is an article. Can lafcpug publish it? Shane doesn't seem to know we have articles here too

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 23, 2010 04:07PM

Shane doesn't seem to know we have articles here too

lol

March 23, 2010 04:40PM
Thanks for the explanation, Graeme. I never saw gamma take on that role in video.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 23, 2010 04:49PM
When Jeff and Graeme have dueling dissertations in the same thread...I get a little nosebleed.

March 23, 2010 04:59PM
Pretty sure Graeme's reply was meant to go into the gamma a bit down the page, rather than this one. But of course he's right. Gamma is to video kind of, if you squint as log is to film. Apply a transform function lets you get away with less luma precision because you're putting more bits where they do more good. But thinking about it in those terms always makes my head hurt. I'm a 16-bit kind of guy.

March 23, 2010 05:03PM
"Note that absolutely nothing is recorded at 2/59.94ths and 4/59.94ths" - gives an automatic assumption of a 1/60th (or 180 degree in filmspeak) second shutter. Normally interlaced video is shot with a 1/60th shutter also, but because the field rate is 60 fields per second, that means it's effectively a 360 degree shutter.

"A nerd would say a this point that the temporal resolution has been halved. The spatial resolution has also been somewhat reduced, because of that jitter filtering I mentioned."

In other words, 30p has half the temporal resolution of 60i (or 60p for that matter). The vertical resolution in an interlaced camera is reduced by a process called row-pair summation, used in how the sensor is read out for interlaced output. This gives a resolution on interlaced content of about 70% of what it would have been for a true progressive readout. I'm not up enough on "other" cameras to know what they do these days in terms of such a readout for psf though. The camera I do know is true progressive and doesn't do such filtering.

"This is why your footage looks "stroboscopic" or "jittery." Because it is." - but at this point we're conflating two properties - the temporal resolution and the shutter. Reduction in temporal resolution can make for stuttery motion if pan speed is too high. Reduction in shutter angle from 360 degrees to 180 degrees (or beyond) will produce a "stroboscopic" effect regardless of the fps.

But, all of the above applies to true progressive images, be they digitally or film sourced when played back on a TV, be it an old interlaced CRT, a modern progressive panel thinking it's receiving psf or progressive input. Remember that in PAL land (so that we can ignore the issues of 3:2 pulldown), film being shot at 25fps would be telecined as such to 50i video, effectively psf by any other name.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
March 23, 2010 05:05PM
Strypes mentioned gamma above in reference to Poynton, so was answering on that aspect.

Film people mean gamma to mean something different to what we talk about in the video world. In Filmspeak gamma is the slope of the linear section of the film's log curve.

Graeme
March 23, 2010 05:11PM
How does material recorded at 59.94fps get recorded and played back? Especially in this era of displays that play back 59.94. How do these displays play back 29.97fps? Play each frame twice?

All the best,

Tom
March 23, 2010 05:17PM

Remember that in PAL land (so that we can ignore the issues of 3:2 pulldown), film being shot at 25fps would be telecined as such to 50i video, effectively psf by any other name.

I'm always amused when I hear the process of converting progressive-scan to PsF described as "2:2 pulldown." Because it really means you do nothing, but it's really quite specific about exactly what type of nothing you do.

Strypes mentioned gamma above in reference to Poynton, so was answering on that aspect.

Oh, whoops. I totally missed that, and got my threads crossed. Pardon the pun.

How does material recorded at 59.94fps get recorded and played back?

It depends too heavily on your monitor to generalize. My television, for example, is a CRT, so it resyncs to 720p60 naturally. It shows me 60 frames per second, progressive-scan. Well. 59.94. I actually don't know how the average LCD handles it, or even if there is an average LCD in that respect.

How do these displays play back 29.97fps?

That's kind of the point. There is no conventional broadcast format that records 29.97 frames per second. The 30psf format still records 59.94 fields per second, just like ordinary 60i does, the major difference being that those fields are read out of the sensor at the same time instead of 1/59.94th apart.

March 23, 2010 07:10PM
Is anybodies else's head about to explode?

confused smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 23, 2010 07:15PM
Ahhh....

Most of the 30p stuff i did went to the web. This is why i didn't see it in the output. My JVC sd broadcast monitor seemed to take it well also but was SLIGHTLY jittery.

I did a dvd in 2003-ish that was all 30p and my crt played it well but a bit more smudgy on an lcd. Neither delivery was complained about but i kept working on making the DV NTSC 30p (DVX100b) footage look better on LCD until i went HD.

Now, I try to stick with 720p60 (HMC150). I haven't tried 30p on this camera yet but i am in the morning.

Thanks for the info. I would think that you could easily write a book/ produce a DVD with your simplified explanations. You make complicated things seem simple OFTEN.

Full Answers to Common Editing Question VOL.1 by Jeff Harrell

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
March 23, 2010 10:54PM
Yeah Mike...uh-oh....(CUT TO: GRAFIXJOE SHAKING VIOLENTLY, then...)

March 24, 2010 07:31AM
Scanners!!!!
March 24, 2010 11:30AM
Yeah, boy!! You spin me right-round!!

March 28, 2010 04:36PM
Interlaced just looks like video tape. Interlaced is dead. Long live progressive.

Stats:
Final Cut Studio 2
Mac Pro
Processor: 2x3 Ghz Quad Core Intel Zeon
Memory: 5GB 667 Mhz DDR2 FB-Dimm

My Music: [www.humboldtmusic.com]
My Work: [www.precisionintermedia.com] (Video & Jingles)
My Fun Video: [www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics