How to make a repeat effect in final cut pro?

Posted by ifilmmovies 
How to make a repeat effect in final cut pro?
March 28, 2010 07:13AM
New here first post

Can't seem to get an effect I saw on YouTube that someone asked me about trying to find a way to replicate it yet can't seem to understand how to get the speed and the time to go forward and backwards. It almost looks like the video is scrubbing.

The video in question is at the following URL:

The effects start at 1:04 into the video, if anyone has an idea or could point me in the direction I would greatly appreciate it.
Re: How to make a repeat effect in final cut pro?
March 28, 2010 08:05AM
It's just a few frames of video repeated time and time again. Blade cut the few frames you want to repeat, copy them, put your playhead at the end of the cut then paste a bunch of times so you have lots of copies one after the other.

March 28, 2010 09:15AM
I don't think it's quite that simple, Jude. I think they're looping that section forward and backward, not just repeated à la Ballet Mécanique.

If I'm right, then you need to first blade out the section you want as Jude described. Paste one copy after itself first. Select the second copy, choose Speed and put it in Reverse (turn Frame Blending off). Once it's been reversed, cut out one frame from the beginning and the end of the reversed copy so that you don't get duplicate frames. Now select both copies, copy, and paste however many times you need.

www.derekmok.com
March 28, 2010 09:59AM
Thanks to both of you for the replies I'm going to try this later on today the tools mentioned above are part of FCP 5 which is what I am using as of late.

Thanks again will return later on today and let you know how's it going "Great Forum".
March 28, 2010 05:16PM
It works I am now working within the project making smaller slices and taking the clips and working with those I see that I will be able to produce about the same effect.

Thank you for your time this morning for answering my inquiry.
March 28, 2010 06:32PM
one other thing to mention.

SHIFT V performs an INSERT paste.

so you can blade a few frames, copy it (Apple C) and then insert paste it (Shift V),
pushing the rest of the clip down the timeline

that'll make life easier for you.

nick
March 28, 2010 07:44PM
Oh, I mustn't have watched enough. The sections I saw were just the ol standard 'Max Headroom' judder effect. Glad you got what you were after, ifilm.

March 28, 2010 07:47PM
Jude,

That's where I remember that effect Max Headroom I couldn't place it yet Thanks for the heads up and the reply.

Good Day

By the way I like your signature,

"Use the FAQ Luke"
March 28, 2010 08:17PM
It is that simple - Jude is right...at 1:04, they are straight cut / copy / paste 5 frame edits.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 29, 2010 09:08AM
If we're being picky (I screen-captured this thing to check):

The shot of the girls with their "snapping heads" is a straight repeated cut/paste, four frames per piece.

The blonde looking at the phone may have been a combination of repeats and forwards/backwards loops. But, it could also be a two-frame cut/paste, which would look just like a complete forwards/backwards loop.

The big face on Dawson seems to start with a three-frame cut/paste, then goes to two-frame pieces.

The guy lying on his back with whipped cream is, obviously, a forwards/backwards loop.

Second shot on Dawson: Definitely a four-frame cut/paste.

Man, this video's annoying especially when you have to watch it 20 times. moody smiley

www.derekmok.com
March 29, 2010 09:39AM
To Derek

My apologizes for bringing it here I was trying to understand the footage and use the knowledge from that on other projects if it were needed.

I have learned even more as to what you just posted and I am grateful.
March 29, 2010 09:50AM
> My apologizes for bringing it here

Hey, no need to apologize at all! It was my problem, not yours. Besides, clients bring reference pieces all the time, and it's our job to figure out how to do it even if we don't like the piece.

When your project's done, you could post it on the Show and Tell forum here.

www.derekmok.com
Re: Downloading FLVs (was: How to make a repeat effect in FCP)
March 29, 2010 09:56AM
going off on a tangent here,

recently i've been using Real Player to download flv's from You Tube and other sites.
well, not realplayer itself, but the Real Player Downloader that comes with it.
Real Player is a free download

it can be set to auto detect flv files when they play,
and when they have loaded completely in YouTube or wherever, you just hit the "download" button in the Real Player Downloader.
you dont have to wait for it to completely load in your web browser, but i think it streamlines the process.

next step is to be able to watch them,
and to that end you need to download & instal Perian, a quicktime enhancer. (its a free download)

the flv files can open & play in QuickTime,
but for me, double clicking on them opens them up in Mpeg Streamclip. (another free download)
no complaints there, its an ok player, (with JKL control) and a fine converter.

nick
March 29, 2010 07:05PM
>but for me, double clicking on them opens them up in Mpeg Streamclip.

If you go to information on the clip in the finder (apple I), select "Open with", switch that to quicktime player and hit "change all". FLVs will always open in Quicktime.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 29, 2010 07:20PM
Mpeg streamclip also downloads from URLs - maybe it doesn't need to be a two app process?

March 29, 2010 07:25PM
It did, then it didn't work on youtube unless you downloaded a whole list of videos.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 29, 2010 07:41PM
Really? I thought I used it fine the other day. Have to check that, ta.

March 29, 2010 07:42PM
hi Jude.
thanks for the reminder
i haven't been able to make that work.

i've seen a few ways to do this (copy / pasting links from Safaris' activity monitor for instance)
i don't now why*, but i could never make them work,
so i would fall back on screen capturing to do the trick.

the real player option wasn't something i had to try with,
in fact i wasn't even trying at all when it first happened.
it just popped up and presented a "download" button.

*"i dont now why"
although i have some theories about me being a clutz!

cheers,
nick
March 29, 2010 07:55PM
So there is a way to download the video and work on it using either Real or Mpeg Streamclip?

At present I am using TubeSock it downs the video yet it's rather small unless that is the true sixe of the video.

I will try Real Downloader I have Mpeg Streamclip yet it wants to download all the clips.

Thank you
March 29, 2010 08:04PM
"So there is a way to download the video and work on it using either Real or Mpeg Streamclip?"

that's what works for me with the least amount of effort.
as Strypes points out you can also convert to editable video in QuickTime Player Pro (not the new QuickTime X)
you need Perian too, don't forget.

cheers,
nick
March 30, 2010 01:45AM
OK So I have the video as an .flv file and I imported into Mpeg Streamclip I am watching it yet as I go to export which file format would you use?

Nick,
Also I do have QuickTime Pro and Perian.

UPDATE:

The .flv file is 11.4 MBs and choppy the other one that I used TubeSock is a .Mp4 file at 26.1 MBs and looks pretty good.

Format: MPEG-4 (Perian) 320 x 240, Millions
AAC, Stereo (LR), 44.100kHz
FPS: 29.97
Data Size: 25.88 MB

Is that good enough to use and is it the same as what others where able to download?

Thanks
March 30, 2010 02:38AM
Good enough to use for what? There's lots of copyright issues with using someone else's work. Normally you have to pay them if you want to reuse it.

March 30, 2010 02:47AM
I'm trying to just import it and see the frame rates that derek found, basically just to learn. Thats why I was looking for the best download as well as the quality if the video.

I can't use the video for production as per Copyright laws, thanks for the reminder though.
March 30, 2010 02:56AM
i tend to use ProRes for most things these days.
i reckon ProRes LT would be fine considering the source,

if you are working Standard Def, just export as either Proresr NTSC,
if HD, then go HD.

obviously if you need to analyse the cuts in that clip you'd really want to do your export at the same frame rate as the original.

nick
March 30, 2010 12:39PM
All right I did I was able to replicate it.

Thanks to all in the thread as to how it was done I have learned and I like the LAFCPG good help more than I have had on other forums.

Would have responded sooner just a little tired very tired.
December 09, 2017 03:58PM
Hi I want to refresh this topic If you also interested in similar sound effects for ur music video , I can share some websites with you
1.[www.looperman.com]
2.[www.lucidsamples.com]
3.[soundbible.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics