Professional Audio Filter

Posted by Kozikowski 
Professional Audio Filter
April 01, 2010 02:08AM
I'm pleased to announce the first public "beta" release of the Professional Audio Filter (PAF).

Some of the controls and installers are a little rough yet, and on occasion it's been known to crash in a shower of brightly colored confetti, but I think it's worth getting it out there for wider testing.

The object of the filter is to convert whomever you shot in the field and in whatever bad conditions to a quiet, polished, professional-sounding voice track.

Intensity and phase adjustments are provided to suppress "white" or microphone self-noise, proximity effect, competing voices, street noise, engine roar, large and small auditorium echoes, air conditioning compressors, vent whistle, and within reason, clipping, crosstalk, cracking, and overload distortion.

Whimsey is alive and well in Los Angeles. We are preparing an announcer module with pitch, sibilance, and depth controls that we're calling, for obvious reasons, 'LaFontaine.' "In a World..."

I've been working with the programmers here in LA and friends at other audio web sites and forums to pull together a lot of different efforts. I aim to be "Welch."

If you remember in LZW Compression, Lempel and Ziv were the world-class data compression Subject Matter Experts with no organizational or people skills. Welch was the one who got them both into a room and said nobody was leaving until they generated an integrated product. And he had a gun. Nothing like adding Smith and Wesson to the team to polish those people skills.

We've included installers for all the major audio software packages: SoundTrack Pro, Audition, Audacity, ProTools, AVS, etc. We even got one to work in the older, revered Cool Edit.

It's open source on all three platforms.

Enjoy

[www.kozco.com]
Re: Professional Audio Filter
April 01, 2010 02:14AM
Love it. Using it now.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 01, 2010 02:49AM
WOW! Can't beat that price.
April 01, 2010 03:39AM
The download link is broken Koz, can you check it at your end?
April 01, 2010 05:21AM
definitely will be using this on all future productions.
and am talking with the producer right now about laying off our over-priced sound recordist.

nick
April 01, 2010 07:07AM
Wow. A cross platform PAF!

www.strypesinpost.com
April 01, 2010 09:38AM
We consider that more and more people will rely on this filter and find they can extricate themselves from worse and worse capture conditions. Soon, someone will discover they can leave the microphone in the car and still go home with a ratty but usable track.

Koz
April 01, 2010 09:48AM
<<<The download link is broken Koz, can you check it at your end?>>>

The hosting service tells me the server overloaded. I'd try hosting it myself except I got DSLExtreme's "Tortuga" package....

Koz
April 01, 2010 09:56AM
> Soon, someone will discover they can leave the microphone in the car and still go home with a
> ratty but usable track.

What are you talking about, Koz? That thing works in a car, too!
And as an esophageal implant.
And as a neuron recorder that records your voice directly from your brain's speech center, even before the signal reaches your vocal cords.

www.derekmok.com
April 01, 2010 10:14AM
Hey man this is great. I just processed my scratch track through it and saved $1500 on professional narration. It just ROCKS.
April 01, 2010 10:24AM
It also allows for realtime audio playback and recording in AE or PS.
WOW i really love this thing. I purchase the 50 licensee deal they had on the product specials page. Its only 499. for the extra speech region converter.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
April 01, 2010 10:29AM
<<<And as a neuron recorder that records your voice directly from your brain's speech center, even before the signal reaches your vocal cords.>>>

That's the two saline pads with the coil-cords, yes. The guy in Portugal is developing that module. We're looking for someone with Tourette's to test it on. One of two things is likely to happen, you get the best straight, perfect recording in the announcer's life, or the best YouTube video ever.

Koz
April 01, 2010 10:37AM
<<<Its only 499. for the extra speech region converter.>>>

I was going to say. That's an add-on. The base program is under the GNU-GPL. Did you check the region list? Some of the regions are hack jobs of other regions instead of the real thing.

We gave up on it. Not enough regions represented. The Irish developer is working on the Male/Female transition module. Surprising demand for that one. Kids is harder. Any volunteers?

Koz
April 01, 2010 04:19PM
Will you take a check?
April 01, 2010 08:29PM
Are you going to be releasing it as a plug for FCP? I hate having to go out to a whole other program for this stuff...

April 01, 2010 08:33PM
I doubt it. The endian issues moving between the different softwares are a right royal pain. Koz will have to keep it Photoshop-only until they can hire more developers.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 01, 2010 08:44PM
Well get on it, dammit! In a couple of days I'm going to be getting a voice with the ocker turned up to eleven. Is there a function for turning an outback Aussie accent into Top Gear BBC? Pitch and nasal removal maybe? I haven't bothered actually installing the filter yet..

April 01, 2010 08:45PM
Jude, my love, my darling. You're on the other side of the frigging date line. April Fools is over already! Please stop making me click things and feel dumb!

And that Philip Bloom is a right bastard, is what he is.

April 01, 2010 08:56PM
"Is there a function for turning an outback Aussie accent into Top Gear BBC?"

it auto detects gaps in the audio, and analyses for upward inflections at ends of sentences,
then applies pitch shifting algorithms to alleviate.
April 01, 2010 08:57PM
What's worse is I'm actually IN THE FUTURE compared to you guys. So I knew damn well it was over tongue sticking out smiley

And yes, we do have flying cars here.

April 01, 2010 08:57PM
But do you have iPads? NO! Just one day in the future, NOT FUTURE ENOUGH.

April 01, 2010 08:59PM
Wow, Nick, that might actually work. Strine correction lol.

April 02, 2010 12:34AM
An audio plug-in for Photoshop. Now there's a thought.

What time is it in Portugal...

Koz
April 02, 2010 03:49PM
And yes, we do have flying cars here.

And Drop Bears. Very future stuff

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics