Working with media from Sony EX 1

Posted by shelleyrae 
Working with media from Sony EX 1
April 07, 2010 10:20AM
Hi Ya'll,

I have an incoming HD job that will be shot with the Sony EX1. Having not worked in HD nor a tapeless format before, I wanted to do some research before I start the job. I watched a tutorial on Lynda.com that says the Log and Transfer window will convert the files from the P2 card with the QT wrapper so FC can work with the footage. But--I will not be getting the P2 card. I will be getting a hard drive with the footage. How do I get the footage prepped for FC if it is delivered on a hard drive?

Hopefully this is enough info for you to advise.

Thanks,
Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Working with media from Sony EX 1
April 07, 2010 10:25AM
With P2 cards, you shouldn't ever be converting footage directly off the card anyway. Copy all the contents to a hard drive, back up those contents. Back them up again (I insist on having at least three discreet, separate, high-quality drive locations holding the raw P2 media before I do anything with it). When you copy the contents from the P2 cards, make sure you drag everything, including the folders that seem generic (eg. "CONTENT"winking smiley. Put all the folders from a particular P2 card into a master folder named after the reel/card. Then in Log and Capture, just navigate to that master folder to access the P2 media.

www.derekmok.com
April 07, 2010 11:08AM
I always do an Image Disk ( a .dmg) from the original card, in your case an SxS card.

better than drag & dropping.

then back it up

time to work ? Mount the .dmgs and Log & Transfer from them
April 07, 2010 01:03PM
There's also Sony's Clip Browser which you can use to move your camera generated files.

You can transfer the footage (convert the footage into quicktime) into FCP with Sony's XDCAM transfer tool. Once you have that installed, go to File>Import>Sony XDCAM. The XDCAM transfer tool will pop up. Make sure that the reels all have a reel name, or you will have problems recapturing in the future.

(I think it's this page, for the XDCAM transfer tool but for some reason it loads very slowly in my browser)
[pro.sony.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
April 07, 2010 02:48PM
The footage will be supplied in it's native format on an external hard drive.

>>>You can transfer the footage (convert the footage into quicktime) into FCP with Sony's XDCAM transfer tool. Once you have that installed, go to File>Import>Sony XDCAM. >>>

I downloaded the XDCam Log and transfer tool. I got a message saying the download was successful, but once in FC, when I go File>Import it does not give me the Sony XDCam option. The only import options I see are: Files, Folder, Batchlist, Cinema Tools, EDL. EXL. So then I opened the Log and Transfer Window but don't see any import options there either.
What am I missing here?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
April 07, 2010 03:16PM
Seems like I installed an older version so I just downloaded the latest version and now I can see the "Sony XD Cam" option in the import menu. I'm waiting for some test footage to play with.

I think the test footage is 1080p 24. So I will need to change my sequence setting for that project to match, right?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Working with media from Sony EX 1 -- HELP
April 08, 2010 06:54PM
moved to new post

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
April 08, 2010 08:01PM
ooh Francois - nice idea. I'ma gonna try that one next time ..

Re: Working with media from Sony EX 1 -- HELP
April 09, 2010 02:40AM
two solutions:
(both available on Sony web site: if you can find you way in there (beware ! last time I checked outdated versions were still on line)

in my experience I prefer the internal plugin that goes right into Fcp's " Log and transfer "

this is : XDCAM_EX_Log_and_Transfer_Plugin_1_0_0

over the separate app "XDCAM Transfer " tool.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics